JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
07-28-2009, 02:15 PM

Please, do yourself and everyone else a favor and stop using My Japanese Coach... it's a terrible resource to learn from. The stroke order on a few of the kana is wrong... also, it teaches poor grammar skills as I noticed when after a month or two of learning from it, I tried talking to a friend and he said my Japanese was terrible. You're much better off with a book like Genki... which is what I'm learning from right now. I could send you the e-book if you want, or you can buy it here...

Amazon.com: genki

There are two books and two workbooks.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#22 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
07-28-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetpirate View Post
Please, do yourself and everyone else a favor and stop using My Japanese Coach... it's a terrible resource to learn from. The stroke order on a few of the kana is wrong... also, it teaches poor grammar skills as I noticed when after a month or two of learning from it, I tried talking to a friend and he said my Japanese was terrible. You're much better off with a book like Genki... which is what I'm learning from right now. I could send you the e-book if you want, or you can buy it here...

Amazon.com: genki

There are two books and two workbooks.
I wouldn't get rid of My Japanese Coach entirely. While I have heard that it is a poor resource for grammar, it can be a good source for vocab. Of course vocab is just as important as grammar, so another study source is good.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-28-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
As for whether the kanji in 人口 reflect the meaning of "population" or not, that was the point I was trying to make with my above post.
To be fair, the concept of population had never been in Asia (China, Korea, Japan) because it started as a 19th century Western concept. This reflects some sheer awkwardness with the kanji translation.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.