JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shadowplay (Offline)
New to JF

please help with lyrics - Tablet for memory - 07-26-2009, 09:20 PM

hi, I'd like to ask if anyone can tell me what is sung in this song? I know mostly people ask for translations of text, but it's not really possible to find any of this artists lyrics. If anyone can hear what she is saying, I'd appreciate it even if it's a few hints. I know her lyrics are strange, so if this is the case you can let me know or send me a PM with the text. I posted earlier in the music section regarding this, hoping to find some fellow fans, but noone replied, so I'm guessing people just aren't interested in her as much as I am. However, I still really want to know what she says.

YouTube - Tujiko Noriko - Tablet for memory

Thank you very much in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-27-2009, 12:04 PM

I think it will be hard to find fans of an avant garde musician. Avant garde musicians do not have many fans, or by definition their music ceases to be avant garde.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
shadowplay (Offline)
New to JF

07-30-2009, 10:30 PM

yes, I understand what you mean. So her lyrics are THAT incomprehensible and umm... avant-garde?
hmm... well, in any case, thank you very much for the reply, KyleGoetz. I will suppose that her lyrics are something "too unique" to translate. Maybe someday I'll manage to decipher a few words if I get to the appropriate level of language comprehension when it comes to Japanese.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Xentron (Offline)
Kami-sama

Send a message via MSN to Xentron Send a message via Skype™ to Xentron
07-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Japanese music always is a tad hard to translate properly.
It really is open to interpretation.
If you take a look at a lyric translations you'll see that there are multiple translations available for the exact same song.
The core meaning is mostly the same but it has quite a bit of differences in it.

That being said your song is really hard to listen to, she's such a quiet girl
Maybe a Japanese expert could help you a bit more.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-31-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay View Post
yes, I understand what you mean. So her lyrics are THAT incomprehensible and umm... avant-garde?
hmm... well, in any case, thank you very much for the reply, KyleGoetz. I will suppose that her lyrics are something "too unique" to translate. Maybe someday I'll manage to decipher a few words if I get to the appropriate level of language comprehension when it comes to Japanese.
I don't think you know what "avant garde" means. Here: define:avant garde - Google Search

Avant garde does not mean "incomprehensible." Consider this your English vocabulary lesson for the day. I think anyone in college ought to know what "avant garde" means.

I was merely offering an explanation for why translations for this particular artist's lyrics are not exactly widespread online.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
shadowplay (Offline)
New to JF

07-31-2009, 08:19 AM

KyleGoetz, I can't understand how you got that impression from what I wrote. It might be just me, but maybe either you like to pick apart things (you know, to notice all the details) and that extends to the way people talk or you jump to conclusions too quickly. In any case, I admire your knack for details. However, I never said what is avant-garde and what isn't and didn't imply avant-garde equals incomprehensible. I meant that they might be too incomprehesible AND avant-garde. I bet most generic pop songs are pretty easy to translate, so I was thinking her writing style might be too "experimental or innovative" (putting your little "English vocabulary lesson for the day" to use ). Meaning... I just let it go, maybe it's too tiresome for people to attempt to translate it for me, so I decided to be patient and do it the old fashioned way - learn and do it yourself.
When I searched online I couldn't find any lyrics of hers at all, I tried to find them if they were available in Japanese but that gave no results either. So I've already crossed translations off the list, and I tried my luck here for a few clues as to what the song is about.
I am not being rude (I thought I'd mention that). This forum is incredibly useful and I don't want to pick a fight, but sometimes you guys start fighting for little things. It's such a good forum, that the above mentioned is really the only problem I see.

Xentron
, thank you for writing back. Yes, I do agree with you on the first. It seems that aspect of language is frustrating but beautiful.
And you are right, I did consider that maybe she doesn't pronounce everything loud or clear enough.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-02-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
KyleGoetz, I can't understand how you got that impression from what I wrote. It might be just me, but maybe either you like to pick apart things (you know, to notice all the details) and that extends to the way people talk or you jump to conclusions too quickly. In any case, I admire your knack for details. However, I never said what is avant-garde and what isn't and didn't imply avant-garde equals incomprehensible. I meant that they might be too incomprehesible AND avant-garde. I bet most generic pop songs are pretty easy to translate, so I was thinking her writing style might be too "experimental or innovative" (putting your little "English vocabulary lesson for the day" to use ). Meaning... I just let it go, maybe it's too tiresome for people to attempt to translate it for me, so I decided to be patient and do it the old fashioned way - learn and do it yourself.
When I searched online I couldn't find any lyrics of hers at all, I tried to find them if they were available in Japanese but that gave no results either. So I've already crossed translations off the list, and I tried my luck here for a few clues as to what the song is about.
I am not being rude (I thought I'd mention that). This forum is incredibly useful and I don't want to pick a fight, but sometimes you guys start fighting for little things. It's such a good forum, that the above mentioned is really the only problem I see.

Xentron
, thank you for writing back. Yes, I do agree with you on the first. It seems that aspect of language is frustrating but beautiful.
And you are right, I did consider that maybe she doesn't pronounce everything loud or clear enough.
Unfortunately, your attacks are unwarranted. I limited my response to "avant garde." I mentioned nothing about incomprehensibility. However, you responded to my talk of "avant garde" by "so it's that incomprehensible?" This strictly implies that I said "avant garde == incomprehensible."

I thusly corrected you. I didn't pick a fight. I was merely trying to offer an explanation as to why you can't find lyrics online. Heck, the artist herself won't even put her lyrics online (I went to her site to look).

Settle down, cowboy. There's no need to unwarrantedly get angry with me.

And I'm a graduate of law school waiting for the results of the bar exam right now, so of course I'm trained to pick things apart. No hard feelings, buddy.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2009, 02:08 AM

Im sorry I cant help you too much with the translation. Wish I could. But I just wanted to say that this song is awesome. Thanks for the introduction lol.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
shadowplay (Offline)
New to JF

08-02-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Unfortunately, your attacks are unwarranted. I limited my response to "avant garde." I mentioned nothing about incomprehensibility. However, you responded to my talk of "avant garde" by "so it's that incomprehensible?" This strictly implies that I said "avant garde == incomprehensible."

I thusly corrected you. I didn't pick a fight. I was merely trying to offer an explanation as to why you can't find lyrics online. Heck, the artist herself won't even put her lyrics online (I went to her site to look).

Settle down, cowboy. There's no need to unwarrantedly get angry with me.

And I'm a graduate of law school waiting for the results of the bar exam right now, so of course I'm trained to pick things apart. No hard feelings, buddy.
KyleGoetz, we must've misunderstood each other from the very beginning. But I did find your reply a bit demeaning as you automatically implied I was a bit stupid, haha. And umm... "your attacks are unwarranted" - I wasn't attacking you, I never said anything wrong about you. It's just not my style and I guess because I'm writing and you don't know me, that there was some confusion.
PS: don't call me "cowboy", that's just weird.
PSS: you're not going to take my reply the wrong way, are you?

Barone1551, ah, I'm really glad you liked the song. Her music is very beautiful, so if you like this one you should listen to the rest. KyleGoetz is right that she is avant-garde, but all I can hear is how beautiful her music is.

And I received some assistance with the lyrics from a friend of mine. I'm happy that he helpded me and now I understand the song a bit, but I had already posted here before I got his translation. Sorry, and thank you for your replies, everyone.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-02-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
KyleGoetz, we must've misunderstood each other from the very beginning. But I did find your reply a bit demeaning as you automatically implied I was a bit stupid, haha. And umm... "your attacks are unwarranted" - I wasn't attacking you, I never said anything wrong about you. It's just not my style and I guess because I'm writing and you don't know me, that there was some confusion.
PS: don't call me "cowboy", that's just weird.
PSS: you're not going to take my reply the wrong way, are you?

Barone1551, ah, I'm really glad you liked the song. Her music is very beautiful, so if you like this one you should listen to the rest. KyleGoetz is right that she is avant-garde, but all I can hear is how beautiful her music is.

And I received some assistance with the lyrics from a friend of mine. I'm happy that he helpded me and now I understand the song a bit, but I had already posted here before I got his translation. Sorry, and thank you for your replies, everyone.
I think we did get off on the wrong foot. Sorry about the "cowboy," but (1) it's a saying, and (2) I'm from Texas.

Indeed, things can get confusing when only text is involved. This is why I think keeping a willingness to make up over seemingly trivial misunderstandings online is important.

Finally, admittedly some of my word choices (e.g., "your attacks") are forces of habit since I've just graduated law school. Debates with other lawyers and law students often use such language. I can forget that they are terms of art that don't mean the same thing to the laity.

*handshake of friendship*