(#11 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I don't think the dictionaries offered in the iPod Touch stuff are typically as valuable, but I'm open to having my mind changed. I would just assume the very expensive, proprietary dictionaries would not be available to someone vending a $20 iPhone app.
You'd be surprised, man. There's nothing I haven't found in that dictionary. My only complaint is every now and then the more complicated kanji don't register when I draw them in, but I've seen that happen on regular denshijishos also.

I've seen crappy iPhone apps and poor excuses for language learning software, so I wouldn't really back something this strongly if I didn't think it a quality product. If you have an iPhone/Pod Touch, I recommend checking it out.

Worse comes to worst, it's one less thing in your back/pocket, right?

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-04-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
The plug is that iTouches can do everything a Jisho can and can't. Internet, video, pictures, email, calendar, weather, notepad (for new words!), games, oh, and music. That's what sold me.

Though half the reason I bought it was for the jisho program.
That's just it though. I already have a dictionary, and I do all my net surfing from the computer at home or at work. So I'd be spending ~$300 to gain a notepad.

Its one of the reasons why I haven't looked too hard into buying an iPhone or any other smart phone. Why spend the $100-300 up front, plus being locked into a $100*+/month contract, when I could just keep spending $10-20 a month with my current pay-as-you-go phone.

After all, all those objects that you replaced with the iPhone or iPod Touch don't just disappear from your possession just because you now own an all-in-one.

*Based upon prices for a viable package from the only carrier in Canada to carry the iPhone

Last edited by Nathan : 08-04-2009 at 06:35 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

08-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
After all, all those objects that you replaced with the iPhone or iPod Touch don't just disappear from your possession just because you now own an all-in-one.
They did mine. XD

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-04-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
You'd be surprised, man. There's nothing I haven't found in that dictionary. My only complaint is every now and then the more complicated kanji don't register when I draw them in, but I've seen that happen on regular denshijishos also.

I've seen crappy iPhone apps and poor excuses for language learning software, so I wouldn't really back something this strongly if I didn't think it a quality product. If you have an iPhone/Pod Touch, I recommend checking it out.

Worse comes to worst, it's one less thing in your back/pocket, right?
My Canon has sample sentences for tons of words, and a very advanced kanji search where I can search phonetically by kanji that are parts of other kanji. Do iPhone apps have this? Just curious.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
They did mine. XD
Yeah, I know. I read his comment and was like "um, Craigsist and eBay?"
(#16 (permalink))
Old
AxBattler (Offline)
New to JF

08-04-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
My Canon has sample sentences for tons of words, and a very advanced kanji search where I can search phonetically by kanji that are parts of other kanji. Do iPhone apps have this? Just curious.
Basically, no, at least not yet. Japanese does have lists of proverb, counters etc. not present in Kotoba but neither have example sentences when you find a word. The yet to be released version 2.0 of Japanese does promise example sentences, multi-radical search and flashcards though. I do find Japanese to have a cleaner interface and more importantly, to be quicker than Kotoba to find words as the list compounds appears live as you enter the kanji characters. It's worth the price in my opinion (I think there is a discount for it now, and people with version 1.0 will get a free update to version 2.0).

The dictionary for both are based on WWWJDIC as far as I can tell, which is in my opinion, handy at least up to my level (okay, that doesn't say much but anyway), as long as you know the reading of the kanji you are looking up. The problem I have with the iPhone, is that character recognition does not work nearly as well as the IME pad (nothing I've tried does though - not even dedicated denshi jishou). It's a shame, because it's technically easier to draw kanji on the iPhone than with a mouse.

At some point, a learner will probably want a 'real' Denshi Jishou. I wouldn't buy an iPod Touch/iPhone (mine's PAYG) *just* for those applications, but it's good to have if you already have one. Another nice thing with those devices is that you can also install Spaced Repetition software which is handy when you are learning on the go.

Last edited by AxBattler : 08-04-2009 at 11:57 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-05-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxBattler View Post
Basically, no, at least not yet. Japanese does have lists of proverb, counters etc. not present in Kotoba but neither have example sentences when you find a word. The yet to be released version 2.0 of Japanese does promise example sentences, multi-radical search and flashcards though. I do find Japanese to have a cleaner interface and more importantly, to be quicker than Kotoba to find words as the list compounds appears live as you enter the kanji characters. It's worth the price in my opinion (I think there is a discount for it now, and people with version 1.0 will get a free update to version 2.0).

The dictionary for both are based on WWWJDIC as far as I can tell, which is in my opinion, handy at least up to my level (okay, that doesn't say much but anyway), as long as you know the reading of the kanji you are looking up. The problem I have with the iPhone, is that character recognition does not work nearly as well as the IME pad (nothing I've tried does though - not even dedicated denshi jishou). It's a shame, because it's technically easier to draw kanji on the iPhone than with a mouse.

At some point, a learner will probably want a 'real' Denshi Jishou. I wouldn't buy an iPod Touch/iPhone (mine's PAYG) *just* for those applications, but it's good to have if you already have one. Another nice thing with those devices is that you can also install Spaced Repetition software which is handy when you are learning on the go.
That is my point exactly. A 電子辞書 is going to be a lot better for a student of Japanese than an iPhone app assuming the student is actually serious about learning the language to a high level. My Canon has everything except handwriting recognition (others available 5 years ago had this, but I didn't need it since I could look up kanji fast enough without it just fine). I can't find my specific model on eBay, but a newer model is $230 on a non-discount site. Canon Wordtank G55 That's as cheap as an iPod Touch and cheaper than an iPhone+plan.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

08-05-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
That is my point exactly. A 電子辞書 is going to be a lot better for a student of Japanese than an iPhone app assuming the student is actually serious about learning the language to a high level.
Well hey now, I'm moving in on a higher level and I don't own a denshijisho. I use my iPod app and the Japanese dictionary built into my Mac (It's fantastic), as well as Rikaichan for anything else.

But above all: It's a crutch.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#19 (permalink))
Old
popster (Offline)
New to JF

does anybody have the WordPod GT-5200? - 08-05-2009, 07:08 AM

As somebody who just started learning Japanese, I wanted to throw this question out there.

A few of you mentioned Canon G50 and Casio Ex-word. I visited Bic Camera shop and a few local retailers and notice electronic dictionaries in Japan are geared for Japanese to learn English, not the other way around.

For those with electronic dictionaries, I'd love your feedback.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-05-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Well hey now, I'm moving in on a higher level and I don't own a denshijisho. I use my iPod app and the Japanese dictionary built into my Mac (It's fantastic), as well as Rikaichan for anything else.

But above all: It's a crutch.
So instead of having a single item (denshi jisho), you're using three, and one is worthless without an internet connection?

I'll stick with my denshi jisho.