LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popster View Post
As somebody who just started learning Japanese, I wanted to throw this question out there.

A few of you mentioned Canon G50 and Casio Ex-word. I visited Bic Camera shop and a few local retailers and notice electronic dictionaries in Japan are geared for Japanese to learn English, not the other way around.

For those with electronic dictionaries, I'd love your feedback.
Pretty much all are as you described. Obviously a store in Japan isn't going to make many products intended for students of Japanese when it's such a nonexistent market there.

There was one dictionary that had just come out when I was there that was specifically made for students of Japanese, but I can't remember what it was. However, while my G50 was made for Japanese learning English, I think this is a misleading characterization. It has a huge JP->JP dictionary and kanji dictionary (both of which are tremendously useful for an advanced learner who doesn't want a single-word English translation, but a more nuanced explanation of words), and the JP->EN and EN->JP are not lacking.

My dictionary is almost as useful, IMO, as SpaceALC. SpaceALC just (obviously) has a larger number of sample sentences.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
AxBattler (Offline)
New to JF

08-06-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
That is my point exactly. A 電子辞書 is going to be a lot better for a student of Japanese than an iPhone app assuming the student is actually serious about learning the language to a high level. My Canon has everything except handwriting recognition (others available 5 years ago had this, but I didn't need it since I could look up kanji fast enough without it just fine). I can't find my specific model on eBay, but a newer model is $230 on a non-discount site. Canon Wordtank G55 That's as cheap as an iPod Touch and cheaper than an iPhone+plan.
I bought my iPhone before I started Japanese. It wasn't bought *for* Japanese. However, it has contributed to my studying, which is a very nice bonus. Dictionary aside, you can also install various Space Repetition Software. While I would not bring my 電子辞書 (yes, I have one) everywhere, I keep my phone with me at all time. So while I am commuting, I can (do) practice my listening or kanji reading. And I'll be honest, even when I need to lookup the meaning of a single word I've heard quickly, the phone is often quicker.

Does a $230 standalone electronic dictionary do more than an iPhone/iPod Touch application at less than 1/11th the cost? Of course it does. If you do not value the other features offered by those devices, than buying to use it as a 電子辞書 make no sense at all. But if someone already planned to buy an iPod Touch for whatever reason, than the $20 application may well buy them some time before a dedicated electronic dictionary will hold them back. And by then, the price of said device may well have dropped by that much (or more).
(#23 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-06-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxBattler View Post
I bought my iPhone before I started Japanese. It wasn't bought *for* Japanese. However, it has contributed to my studying, which is a very nice bonus. Dictionary aside, you can also install various Space Repetition Software. While I would not bring my 電子辞書 (yes, I have one) everywhere, I keep my phone with me at all time. So while I am commuting, I can (do) practice my listening or kanji reading. And I'll be honest, even when I need to lookup the meaning of a single word I've heard quickly, the phone is often quicker.

Does a $230 standalone electronic dictionary do more than an iPhone/iPod Touch application at less than 1/11th the cost? Of course it does. If you do not value the other features offered by those devices, than buying to use it as a 電子辞書 make no sense at all. But if someone already planned to buy an iPod Touch for whatever reason, than the $20 application may well buy them some time before a dedicated electronic dictionary will hold them back. And by then, the price of said device may well have dropped by that much (or more).
I'll agree with you there. I was just pointing out that the app is not a replacement for a denshi jisho. I think we agree on this.