JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-14-2009, 08:59 PM

Yeah, 'Whats my age again?' is a song by Blink 182.

Quote:
And that's about the time that she walked away from me
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And are still more amused by TV shows
What the hell is ADD?
My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?
That is part of the song in context.

I personally can't understand why you'd get an song that is sung in English, tattoed in Japanese, but maybe that's just my logic.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
08-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt616 View Post
First of all. If you liked Blink-182 at all. You would know why I am getting the tattoo. Blink-182 makes me feel younger. I'm 19 but I act very young sometimes. Therefore I would like to get a tattoo representing my youth. And it's the summer and I've only taken one semester of Japanese, so I have forgotten a lot. But anyway. Thanks for not helping and everyone being a complete douche bag, just because I put spaces in or elongated my introduction. So thanks for not helping me at all!
Your welcome
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 11:47 PM

Not endorsing the tattoo at all, just taking a shot at this.

何歳だっけ?

Edit:

These kinds of requests come in all the time sir. Some criticism you have to learn to take with a grain of salt. Responding like you did does not make one want to help you.

Last edited by Nathan : 08-14-2009 at 11:51 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Deviruu (Offline)
オワタ!

08-14-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt616 View Post
First of all. If you liked Blink-182 at all. You would know why I am getting the tattoo. Blink-182 makes me feel younger. I'm 19 but I act very young sometimes. Therefore I would like to get a tattoo representing my youth. And it's the summer and I've only taken one semester of Japanese, so I have forgotten a lot. But anyway. Thanks for not helping and everyone being a complete douche bag, just because I put spaces in or elongated my introduction. So thanks for not helping me at all!

o.O Will you even be liking Blink-182 when you're 70? Just to remind you of your youth?

My, my...

Relax. It was only simple advice. Might as well be thanking packetpirate for correcting you and helping with the spacing issue. It's better than looking foolish.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
08-15-2009, 02:37 AM

Thank you... and to CMT... grow up. (See the irony in my statement?)
We DID help you, but you don't want to accept the information because it's not what you wanted to hear. Nobody is going to cater to your whims just to satisfy you.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 03:37 AM

I might point out, packetpirate, that you should have removed the 「さん」 from his sentence as well, since you never refer to yourself with that honorific.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
08-15-2009, 04:09 AM

Oops... didn't realize I had done that. Guess it was just a habit because I wasn't talking about myself... I was typing for him.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#18 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-15-2009, 06:08 AM

I agree that 何歳だっけ would be fine. Using the "younger" version of the kanji, 何才だっけ, might be more "hip".

Man... cmt you're 19 and you want to feel younger? Some people are just too much

Do a search of the forums for the phrase "tattoo" and you'll see a ream of reasons why you shouldn't get a tattoo on your body in a language you don't understand. The long and short of it is:
a) It's not cool.
b) The artist will most likely get it wrong.
c) You don't know the language, so you don't know the meaning.
d) No, knowing the translation doesn't equal knowing the meaning.
e) For all you know, you could have "toilet" imprinted on you.
f) I've seen the above mentioned tatoo, as have a few other members here.

So... my advice? Don't do it. Just write it in English so it has more meaning for you. If you write it in Japanese, the only reason is because you want people to see it and ask about it. There are many more productive conversation starters out there, my friend.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#19 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

08-15-2009, 07:48 AM

The idea that the artist will "most likely" get it wrong is pretty funny, tbh. Perhaps if you wanted them to find the character for something themselves, but if you went in with a picture of what you want, they aren't going to get it wrong.

Also, the thought that there are all these people running around with works like "toilet" or "prostitute" is probably much more exaggerated than real life - most people who get tattoos put a little effort into it.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-15-2009, 08:44 AM

No. Getting tattoos in different languages often results in mess ups... even if you think you've got it right.

This is my favorite:

I got a tattoo done by a Thai man once, also. It was in English but, so I had checked it. He missed a punctuation mark because it's small, and didn't notice because he couldn't read the language. It was lucky enough for me, but, because I just went back the next day and got it finished.

I don't get why you're getting a line from an English song written in Japanese, anyway...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…