JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MissLicious (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation How to say "Rest peacefully father" - 08-18-2009, 11:07 PM

Hellow :-)
im seeking someone from japan, who can translate this "Rest peacefully father" to japanese signs correctly. Its for a tattoo, so it would be great if u can write the signs pretty big in here, so i can draw it of.

- Thank you !
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

08-18-2009, 11:14 PM

Before the hounds find this thread, is there a reason you want the tattoo in Japanese? Was your father Japanese or does it have some other meaning to you?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-18-2009, 11:18 PM

This is not the answer you are looking for, but this is not something you should have in Japanese marked on your skin. Anything death related in a tattoo can be considered a bad omen.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
08-19-2009, 12:44 AM

What is it with America's youth and Chinese/Japanese tattoos? They have no meaning to you. And I'm sure he wouldn't rest easy knowing you're permanently marking your skin with characters you don't even know how to read.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-19-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetpirate View Post
What is it with America's youth and Chinese/Japanese tattoos? They have no meaning to you. And I'm sure he wouldn't rest easy knowing you're permanently marking your skin with characters you don't even know how to read.
How do you know she is American?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
08-19-2009, 01:53 AM

Ok... let me rephrase that... "What is it with YOUTH and Chinese/Japanese tattoos?"...

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2009, 03:47 AM

Kanji tattoos are a bad omen all-together.

----

Getting a Kanji tattoo.

Thoughts about Kanji tattoos?

----

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 08-19-2009 at 03:49 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

08-19-2009, 04:09 AM

Wow... enough with this "taint not the sacred language of Japanese". It's easy to like something that only you (in another culture) would understand. It used to be native American before it was Chinese/Japanese symbols.

Think about it... how often do you see Japanese walking around with English (albeit usually hillariously non-sensical) on their shirt or accessories or whatever? We don't complain about them using English (usually just laugh). Let people to their own fads.

And TC, sorry, I certainly do not have the knowlege to translate English to Japanese to the point where I would consider perman-inking it to someone (anyone can guess). Although, unless you are looking for specifically Japanese for some reason, I would recommend Chinese for the all pictograph look. It will be hard to put that phrase without using the less graphical hiragana.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-19-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
Wow... enough with this "taint not the sacred language of Japanese". It's easy to like something that only you (in another culture) would understand.
Who said don't taint Japanese. It's doing her a favor.

Quote:
It used to be native American before it was Chinese/Japanese symbols.
Chinese and Japanese do not use "symbols". They are called characters. That distinction is important. And written Chinese was established thousands of years ago.
Explain how the Native Americans exported their non-existent written language to the Chinese.

Quote:
Think about it... how often do you see Japanese walking around with English (albeit usually hillariously non-sensical) on their shirt or accessories or whatever? We don't complain about them using English (usually just laugh). Let people to their own fads.
You can take off a t-shirt.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2009, 04:40 AM

Let me establish MMM's point about Japanese kanji not being "symbols" further... symbols are pictorial representations of something. A good example would be hieroglyphics.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。