JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Orochitachi (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Orochitachi Send a message via MSN to Orochitachi
Writing Vertically ; Japanese - 09-03-2009, 03:42 AM

Does anyone know how to write vertically with Japanese characters(Kana) in microsft word of notepad?

Is there a special word application to do this? Can it be done?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-03-2009, 03:51 AM

Tategaki (Vertical Text) - PC Tips for Teachers and Students of Japanese Language - Nihongo Memo

In Japanese: 縦書き

To point out: It took no special Japanese knowledge to find this answer. Sometimes you just have to use Google for yourself.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Orochitachi (Offline)
JF Regular

09-03-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Tategaki (Vertical Text) - PC Tips for Teachers and Students of Japanese Language - Nihongo Memo

In Japanese: 縦書き

To point out: It took no special Japanese knowledge to find this answer. Sometimes you just have to use Google for yourself.
Yeah.... Arigato!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Orochitachi (Offline)
JF Regular

09-03-2009, 04:33 AM

Ps.. I typed vertically and did a translation using google and it turned out that what I typed was totally not what was translated. So ps...don't use google translate people , it's not good.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-03-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochitachi View Post
Ps.. I typed vertically and did a translation using google and it turned out that what I typed was totally not what was translated. So ps...don't use google translate people , it's not good.
Machine translation is never good. That is why people pay translators like MMM for their brains. Their soft, delicious, purple brainzzzzzzzzzz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

09-11-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Machine translation is never good. That is why people pay translators like MMM for their brains. Their soft, delicious, purple brainzzzzzzzzzz
Accurate machine translation into English is a lot better now than it was only 5 years ago (I especially noticed this in Japanese, but still improving in closer related languages). It's only a matter of time until machines can accurately translate typed language without a person being able to tell the difference.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-11-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
Accurate machine translation into English is a lot better now than it was only 5 years ago (I especially noticed this in Japanese, but still improving in closer related languages). It's only a matter of time until machines can accurately translate typed language without a person being able to tell the difference.
In Japanese? That's about as long as I have been working in translation and I haven't seen any improvement in English/Japanese machine translation.

Try this one out: Translation Party
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-11-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
When machines can accurate translate between two languages, humanity will either be exterminated by AI or will no longer have to work, because machine translation is likely to be the last AI problem solved.