JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Banzai (Offline)
日本バンザイ~!

Send a message via MSN to Banzai
09-09-2009, 07:35 AM

PaulK, I'm sure your reasoning with others can be understood but I'm going to have to strongly agree with KyleGoetz. If you've been near that much Japanese influence you'd just have to be able hold up a conversation. I find it very surprising that you don't. Learning the language by book and programs can only get you so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post
For the past 18 years I have studied 9mostly on my own) on and off, as well as audit an introductory course briefly while in grad school in 1998, and studied in some community classes at the local international center here in town.
That's a lot of independent studying that you probably didn't take full advantage on. If you can, just keep on going to classes and practice with others. That is the best way of learning in my opinion.

>>>SOSDefinition<<<

私は日本語より多く学ぶことが開始されます。
(#22 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-09-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am sorry to post such a negative and depressing message, but I am really down. I have posted questions on this forum before. From my humble experience doing so, I found there were a few kind souls who could, or tried to, emphasize with my language learning challenges; while on the other hand, there were those who obviously are very proficient (something which I don't begrudge them-good for them I say), but who could not understand why I was not able to comprehend a relatively simple reading passage.

I came to Japan in 1991 at the age of 30 for the JET Program. I am lived in Japan on and off for about 7 years. For the past 18 years I have studied 9mostly on my own) on and off, as well as audit an introductory course briefly while in grad school in 1998, and studied in some community classes at the local international center here in town. I have puchased over the years a plethora of books, and feel that I have made a genuine concerted effort to learn the language. A former tutor gave me an unofficial JLPT practice test and I passed level 3 (that was in 2001). Foreign friends usually recommend that I study with my Japanese wife; however, I have found it difficult. She cannot, through no fault of her own, provide me comprehensive explanations for grammatical problems I encounter. I usually get frustrated when she speaks at a normal speed, and end up just giving up. I really like her family but find I can add my 2 cents worth into daily conversation to be polite, but then am absolutely clueless to what they say in response.

I really need help.

Paul
Possibly try the 35-40 age bracket for help.

How old's ya misses?

Cheers - Oz
(#23 (permalink))
Old
besi (Offline)
New to JF

09-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Paul`s problems is not Japanese language and no one can understand ,only those foreigners who live in japan , me my self been in japan for neary 4 years ,been to schools and still talk with my wife in japanese language ,but even after 4 years in japan i still havent settled down yet ,hard to get a job, too hard the language and of course a complete new life ,which is a UNIKE life ,and hard to fit into the system for a foreigner .and you start feeling the heat of your quite, routine and a bit boring life or maybe a normal life ,which some are not used to normal life,the pace is slow in here they want excitements do different things every day meet your friends who can understand your jokes and you understand them . you wanna go out from your hose and see your mates outside the pub and have a chat and watch a game of football while having a drink ,the life here is quite safe ,but we have grown up in a rough and tough places which was hard living in ,now we found it very soft .i guess the most difficult part for foreigners in japan is COMMUNICATION.Japanese people are very nice soft and kind and very very very polite , we come from a different world ,,PAUL mate i got same problems hahahah GOD knows what will happen