JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Air (Offline)
New to JF

Job in the US requires Nihongo - 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM

I've been unemployed for months and I'm desperately looking for work. I'm looking specifically for an IT job, but really, anything will do at this point.

On an Internet job board, I noted in my profile that I knew basic Japanese, which I do, from taking a class that studied the first two volumes of Japanese for Busy People. I'm way past tourist-level Japanese, but I have trouble with every-day conversation.

So recently, I received a phone call for a company who viewed my profile, and they're interested in me doing IT work in a Japanese bank-- it requires proficiency of spoken and written Japanese (I'm not sure how much yet).

I don't really know what to do here. Should I try to fake it, or cram and try to understand the language, or just turn it down? All I know is, I really need a job and nobody else is calling.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Proficient:
the state of being proficient; skilled; expertness: proficiency in music.

It may end terribly when they realize you may not be proficient. Chances are, if you're second guessing your ability, then it probably is not the right job for you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Air (Offline)
New to JF

09-08-2009, 07:24 PM

Well, the job description doesn't say 'proficient,' those were my words. If the description required fluency or business-level Japanese, I would decline the offer.

I think I'll let the hiring manager decide if I know enough, but I still want to brush up. I guess jumping from beginner to conversational in a few weeks is unrealistic?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-08-2009, 07:27 PM

The best thing to do is be honest. With something like that, the lie will be figured out within days, if not sooner.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-09-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
I've been unemployed for months and I'm desperately looking for work. I'm looking specifically for an IT job, but really, anything will do at this point.

On an Internet job board, I noted in my profile that I knew basic Japanese, which I do, from taking a class that studied the first two volumes of Japanese for Busy People. I'm way past tourist-level Japanese, but I have trouble with every-day conversation.

So recently, I received a phone call for a company who viewed my profile, and they're interested in me doing IT work in a Japanese bank-- it requires proficiency of spoken and written Japanese (I'm not sure how much yet).

I don't really know what to do here. Should I try to fake it, or cram and try to understand the language, or just turn it down? All I know is, I really need a job and nobody else is calling.
Um, won't there be an interview at some point? Or did they offer the job to you sight unseen?

One would assume they'd determine your proficiency in the interview.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
BoyFromTheFuture (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to BoyFromTheFuture
09-09-2009, 12:17 AM

Intense anime-watching sessions KGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!
Honesty , tell them it's basic. If they're fine with that , learn up more as much as possible , Japanese is a fair easy language imo, esp. if you have interest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-09-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyFromTheFuture View Post
Japanese is a fair easy language imo, esp. if you have interest.
Hate to tell you, but linguistic research suggests otherwise. Japanese is classified as one of the most difficult languages to learn for a native English speaker.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
BoyFromTheFuture (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to BoyFromTheFuture
09-09-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Hate to tell you, but linguistic research suggests otherwise. Japanese is classified as one of the most difficult languages to learn for a native English speaker.
Could be right , but I was speaking in my personal opinion.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-09-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyFromTheFuture View Post
Could be right , but I was speaking in my personal opinion.
Gotcha. I found it easy, too (much easier than my major—abstract math—or professional degree—law). But then again, I found Spanish easier, so it could just be that I've an ear for languages.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
09-09-2009, 04:12 PM

The last I noticed there weren't many banking terms in the Japanese for Busy People text.

Since this does imply that you will need to understand both Japanese IT and Banking terminology, it sounds like this is way beyond your current ability. Given the highly sensitive nature and emotional volatility of that combination (I was in IT for a mortgage banker for a few years), some very subtle nuances could become firestorms quickly.

You better be very clear with the interviewer and pray they are willing to consider someone with a willingness to learn and only an example of beginning efforts.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.