Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
hatsuto11 (Offline)
阿邪美能伊理比売

Is it possible to master japanese in one year only?! - 10-17-2009, 12:17 PM

Hey guys,
I opened this thread because of my desire to know whether a human being can master the written and spoken japanese in one year only or not! in other words, it is possible for a normal person or even a genius one to master kanji in one year only?! I am really wondering if sth like this may ever happen. So what do you think? 可能なのですか。
ご返事に待っていますよ!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
10-17-2009, 12:26 PM

Well I'm not sure, if you are a true genius, learn 10h a day, revise everything you've learned several times (in other words have a perfect plan how to learn and when to revise) and do not do many other things you have to revise for you may be able to do it. The problem is the amount of kanji I think so 1 year may not be enough for a normal person.

When do you think people die?

When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol?
No.

When they are ravaged by an incurable disease?
No.

When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom?
No!

It's when... they are forgotten.

~Dr. Hiluluk - One Piece
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Fujipan (Offline)
New to JF

10-17-2009, 01:04 PM

If you study new Kanji for 2.5~3 hours a day and maintain it, then it's possible. "Maintain" being the key word
(#4 (permalink))
Old
hatsuto11 (Offline)
阿邪美能伊理比売

10-17-2009, 03:50 PM

well, i won't try to master it in one yr coz i think i can't since i study other five langs.... but i am askin ya to give me ur opinion since there is a guy who insists he can do that so i wanted to make sure whether his speech was logical or not~~ my problem in kanji is not the way to write them but, it is to memorize the huge number of readings~~ isn't there a relationship between their readings? 4 instance, 源, this kanji can be read as gen in the word 起源and this one 原 can also be read s gen sometimes~~ so isn't there a relationship between their readings??
(#5 (permalink))
Old
lupercalia (Offline)
New to JF

10-17-2009, 05:05 PM

Well, 源 means source, origin and 原 can mean primitive, original, primary so there's only a connection between similar kanji, and these ones are written the same way except for the radical of the first one so...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Kanji is only one part of mastering Japanese.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
AxBattler (Offline)
New to JF

10-17-2009, 05:55 PM

What exactly do you mean by 'master'? Speak like a well-spoken native and be able to read well over 2000 Kanji characters? If so, I reckon that you would need to be a very, very linguistically talented genius to do so.

To be honest, I think that hitting 1000 Kanji (say, 6500 compounds) in the first year of study, retain them, while studying grammar/speaking/writing from scratch to upper intermediate/lower advanced level will strain most mortals.

And that's not even close to 'mastery'.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
korriken (Offline)
New to JF

10-18-2009, 12:45 AM

perhaps if you lived in Japan, know a person who could teach you on a daily basis and you were completely immersed in the language all day, every day? perhaps, just maybe you could pull it off.

but simply studying Japanese at home? never.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
utsu (Offline)
JF Regular

10-18-2009, 01:44 AM

I actually know a person who claims to have done so. But if you ask me, she's full of it. She says that after a year of study she passed the highest level of the Japanese language test and actually took the Japanese uni entrance exams, got accepted to her choice university and studied in Japanese.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

10-18-2009, 01:53 AM

Well I am not saying that is impossible to learn Japanese in a year but it is hard to learn Kanji. In order to that, there has to be a lot of dedication.
Closed Thread