JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
munzy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-27-2009, 04:35 PM

Thank you! I think once I read something about the no that become a question at the end...
thanks for let me remember it!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-27-2009, 04:44 PM

I am not too much into informal Japanese since all textbook I have "worship" the ですます. Can you actually add the の directly to a name to make it as a question? I thought you still need the copula だ which in this case becomes な. クリスマスライブなの. I think it actually might be a possessive. As a title of a blob it might introduce what the blob is about. Not knowing what this Christams live is and what the blob is about tho we can only throw on the plate a huge amount of wild guesses.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#13 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-27-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
I am not too much into informal Japanese since all textbook I have "worship" the ですます.
Don't they all? My Class teacher actually goes as far as to pretend that the "informal" part of her language does not exist..

I didn't learn anything about informal from textbooks, just from copying the way my friends speak.

Quote:
Can you actually add the の directly to a name to make it as a question? I thought you still need the copula だ which in this case becomes な. クリスマスライブなの. I think it actually might be a possessive. As a title of a blob it might introduce what the blob is about. Not knowing what this Christams live is and what the blob is about tho we can only throw on the plate a huge amount of wild guesses.
Probs not - just me being a n00b..

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-27-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I am not too much into informal Japanese since all textbook I have "worship" the ですます. Can you actually add the の directly to a name to make it as a question? I thought you still need the copula だ which in this case becomes な. クリスマスライブなの. I think it actually might be a possessive. As a title of a blob it might introduce what the blob is about. Not knowing what this Christams live is and what the blob is about tho we can only throw on the plate a huge amount of wild guesses.
クリスマスライブなの means, depending on inflection of the voice, "It is a Christmas concert" or "Is it a Christmas concert?" Sort of like あ、クリスマスライブなんだ。

When speaking informally, you can drop だ often in this situation. I would if I were asking something like this of my friends. If a friend of mine, Yoshino, invited me to a big New Years Eve event her father got her tickets for but didn't tell me what it was at first, I'd immediately ask 紅白なの? (紅白歌合戦 is the name of a very famous end-of-year "concert".)

And what's a "blob"?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-27-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Don't they all? My Class teacher actually goes as far as to pretend that the "informal" part of her language does not exist..
What class are you in? That could be pretty important in her decision not to refer to plain form.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
11-27-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
And what's a "blob"?
I think the word that Chryuop might have been aiming for is blurb, as in a short section of text.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

11-27-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
クリスマスライブなの means, depending on inflection of the voice, "It is a Christmas concert" or "Is it a Christmas concert?" Sort of like あ、クリスマスライブなんだ。
Woop! I was right

Quote:
What class are you in? That could be pretty important in her decision not to refer to plain form.
Its only 2nd Year class and half the people can't even use the first line of Hiragana.. I only go for speaking practise since I have no nearby Japanese speakers of my level.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#18 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-27-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munzy View Post
Sorry I don't understand well... 君 could mean also chan? Instead of Kun?

Anyway in the case of CHAOS 君 i think it's male, so is better to use CHAOS kun.. ne?
No, I mean for each. Maybe ちゃん can be interpreted as adding "-poo" to somebody's name, or "honey". 君 I don't know, maybe little guy, son, junior, young master. Possibilities might be endless. But either way you can't translate things like these 1:1 since they're cultural, but you can approximate. Although I do think it's a bit goofy to use these in English unless there's good reason for it.

Last edited by xyzone : 11-27-2009 at 06:35 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

11-27-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
No, I mean for each. Maybe ちゃん can be interpreted as adding "-poo" to somebody's name, or "honey". 君 I don't know, maybe little guy, son, junior, young master. Possibilities might be endless. But either way you can't translate things like these 1:1 since they're cultural, but you can approximate. Although I do think it's a bit goofy to use these in English unless there's good reason for it.
Why would you wanna use a Japanese name suffix in English when they do not exist in this language?

(#20 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-27-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Why would you wanna use a Japanese name suffix in English when they do not exist in this language?
I wouldn't, but when it comes to translating some content from j to e, some have been known to. That's what the topic is about, after all.