LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

12-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
How is stamping one's son's name permanently illegibly on one's body "more interesting" than stamping it legibly?
Because plain is boring.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
Because plain is boring.
Maybe the problem isn't the legibility, but the content.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MilKyXxdreamXx (Offline)
JF Regular

12-03-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Finally, I doubt the reason for putting the name in kanji was for any Japanese to read, or anyone else for that matter. It's just more interesting than stamping "Jacob" on himself. It shouldn't matter if wants to put it in Japanese, Hebrew, Klingon, Elvish, or wingdings (a nonsensical MS font)!

Btw, those examples do approximately have the same pronunciation as "Jacob".
i guess this only satisfies the owner of the tattoo itself. since it's not really for anyone to read.

to tell you the truth, whoever reads kanji will think the characters is more of a mismatch sentence. unless if it's a japanese who knows the name of "jacob" (or anyone who knows japanese) will understand that this tattoo represent the pronounciation of "jacob".

让人笑。让人哭。 让人开心。让人生气。 让人希望。让人期盼。。
都是什么意思在心中 ~
(#14 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

12-03-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilKyXxdreamXx View Post
i guess this only satisfies the owner of the tattoo itself. since it's not really for anyone to read.

to tell you the truth, whoever reads kanji will think the characters is more of a mismatch sentence. unless if it's a japanese who knows the name of "jacob" (or anyone who knows japanese) will understand that this tattoo represent the pronounciation of "jacob".
I truly doubt anyone would even try to understand the meaning, much less pull out a foreign name. I think of it as some sort of crude art without creativity. Interpret it as you will, but its meaning is really only with the owner.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-03-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
There are those who have legally "translated" their non-Japanese name into kanji. I wouldn't say it can't be done.
Don't twist the argument. You're talking about the ex-foreigners who have naturalized into Japan.

I repeat. Jacob = ジェイコブ. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know much Japanese or Japanese customs. If I had to tell otherwise just to please someone who doesn't even know あ from い, I'd rather kick my butt outa JF. You guys wouldn't need a Japanese member.

If someone wants to take the time to write "治叡勇功武" for "Jacob" everytime he has to write his name, go ahead and do it. What is he going to do with with his family or middle name then? No one will be able to read it so he'd end up having to provide the furigana "ジェイコブ" anyway. That is going to be a 100-stroke full name.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-04-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly5 View Post
thanks for the advice people, am looking to get my son's name done as a tattoo and am exploring idea's.

My son's name Jacob is a hebrew name in origin which means,
'he who supplants' 'Supplanter' 'held by the heel'
If the name is Hebrew, I would get it in a language you speak or Hebrew.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-04-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harumaki View Post
And eitherway,

The best way to translate your name into kanji is:

馬鹿野朗
Jeikobu

Have fun
Don't steal my techniques.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MilKyXxdreamXx (Offline)
JF Regular

12-04-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
If someone wants to take the time to write "治叡勇功武" for "Jacob" everytime he has to write his name, go ahead and do it. What is he going to do with with his family or middle name then? No one will be able to read it
those characters look more like an unusual combined meaning instead of a name. lol

although i'm pretty sure that icewind isn't the one that's getting the tattoo, but he surely can "understand" the mind of the original OP by stating all his comments for the OP instead.. lol

让人笑。让人哭。 让人开心。让人生气。 让人希望。让人期盼。。
都是什么意思在心中 ~
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-04-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilKyXxdreamXx View Post
Those kanji can be read so many ways, I would be shocked if a Japanese person actually read that to be "Jacob".
(#20 (permalink))
Old
ShizukaMiyako (Offline)
New to JF

12-04-2009, 08:29 AM

my Name is originaly Shizuka-Miyako ...and i would like it to translate...
i have a french name too jessica can i translate it to a japanese name too?