LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`ll step in and say it may not be meaningless.
There are many university Japanese courses that recognize the JLPT for class placement. I don`t know about where the OP is planning to go, but there is a chance that it may translate into university course credits or into being placed in a higher class at the start.

We have to remember that they are wanting to take the test prior to university, and not for employment.
Point well taken...at least where I used to live that would have also required a plane ride, too. So that's why I want to make sure the OP is doing it for the right reasons.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
celephais (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to celephais
02-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
many university Japanese courses that recognize the JLPT for class placement. I don`t know about where the OP is planning to go, but there is a chance that it may translate into university course credits or into being placed in a higher class at the start.
Thanks Nyororin!
I'm taking the test for several reasons - Uni placement and just wanting to know how far along my 1 1/2 - 2 years of self-study has gotten me are my two main ones. Oh, and not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I do-at the moment-have the money to piss away to take all the tests. I've saved up money specifically for the tests to be able to take them.

But before we forget, does anyone know if the list in my original post is current and complete for N5? If it's not, where can I find one that is?

Thanks all!
Amanda

Last edited by celephais : 02-21-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Edited to say that I do live quite near a city where the test is given - Fayetteville, AR. :)
(#13 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
02-21-2010, 04:00 PM

Someone gave us this link a month or two ago (sorry whoever it was, I don't remember ^^; ) that you may be interested in using. Yahoo! You'll probably want to use 国語(こくご) to practice your Japanese, but you can also try the other subjects to test yourself outside of just a language context. It's obviously not the JLPT but it's intended for kids from beginning school up through middle school in Japan. Definitely start from the beginning grades and work your way up. I overestimated my vocabulary the first time I tried it, so it was a little disheartening having to check the dictionary so often for stuff that was 'only elementary school level'. I just thought you might be interested in the link because MMM mentioned that JLPT 1 is sort of the equivalent of saying 'I can write at a 1st grade level!' Hope you get some use out of it
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
I just thought you might be interested in the link because MMM mentioned that JLPT 1 is sort of the equivalent of saying 'I can write at a 1st grade level!' Hope you get some use out of it
JLPT 1 = fluent.

JLPT 4 = 1st grader.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
celephais (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to celephais
02-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Thanks Duo! That link looks great! I'll definitely go check it out later today.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
02-21-2010, 11:30 PM

Ah, right. My mistake, I got them mixed up. I meant the JLPT4 is first grade (or whatever they're calling the new lowest level).
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-22-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
I`ll step in and say it may not be meaningless.
There are many university Japanese courses that recognize the JLPT for class placement. I don`t know about where the OP is planning to go, but there is a chance that it may translate into university course credits or into being placed in a higher class at the start.

We have to remember that they are wanting to take the test prior to university, and not for employment.
There's Nyororin, always with the conciliatory tone—I've missed you!
(#18 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2010, 04:59 AM

Since there's this thread, I think I should ask some questions as well. Now that there are 5 levels, which one should I start if I take a Japanese class? Should I start at level 3 and then go to 2 and 1, or should I take 2 at first try? I think I'm still not good enough to take a class in the next 3 years, so I'm wondering about the proper method when I'm able to take it. Can anybody give me an advice?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-22-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroix01 View Post
Since there's this thread, I think I should ask some questions as well. Now that there are 5 levels, which one should I start if I take a Japanese class? Should I start at level 3 and then go to 2 and 1, or should I take 2 at first try? I think I'm still not good enough to take a class in the next 3 years, so I'm wondering about the proper method when I'm able to take it. Can anybody give me an advice?
My understanding is that
N5 = old 4
N4 = old 3
N3 = something between old 3 and old 2
N2 = old 2
N1 = old 1

I'm of the opinion that nothing is worth taking except N1, and N2 could be useful as a precursor to studying and taking the N1. The N1 is very difficult, so the N2 would be a good way of learning what it's like to take a JLPT before taking the hard one.

Anything else is a complete waste unless you are taking it to test out of courses or something.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 02-22-2010 at 05:23 AM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2010, 05:42 AM

Thanks for your advice. I'll take it into consideration