(#4 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
"This guy's really gross."
My Japanese must be pretty bad - it looked like it said 'koi majiki me' to me or 'koitsu majiki me'. . . which I can't see as to meaning what you just said :S
(#5 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2010, 05:33 PM

Divide it:
こいつ=this guy (I might say a stupid thing, but I suppose it is a short for この奴)
マジ=really, seriously....
きめ=wood shaving. I guess it is a slang meaning? I had found it in the past in a book and on a dictionary it said used for a small low cheat person (I thought it could have worked to translate what young nowadays call "losers")...maybe gross is more the translation or maybe used for both. I just go with Sashimister translation coz it is surely right

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ

Last edited by chryuop : 03-10-2010 at 05:35 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
03-10-2010, 05:37 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that きめ comes from 気持ち悪い>> きもい>>きめー。 I think the jump from きもい to きめ is the same as 怖い to こえー or 面白い to おもしれー. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that makes the most sense considering someone's being called 'gross'.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Divide it:
こいつ=this guy (I might say a stupid thing, but I suppose it is a short for この奴)
マジ=really, seriously....
きめ=wood shaving. I guess it is a slang meaning? I had found it in the past in a book and on a dictionary it said used for a small low cheat person (I thought it could have worked to translate what young nowadays call "losers")...maybe gross is more the translation or maybe used for both. I just go with Sashimister translation coz it is surely right
Ah! Thanks for explaining that It actually helped a lot, mainly because I just realised I was mistaking the 'ki' for Katakana, so instead of 'maji' and 'kime' I was reading it as 'majiki' and 'me'. Thanks though, I'll be sure to be more careful in reading next time and divide the sentence more carefully.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that きめ comes from 気持ち悪い>> きもい>>きめー。 I think the jump from きもい to きめ is the same as 怖い to こえー or 面白い to おもしれー. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that makes the most sense considering someone's being called 'gross'.
Wow that would be a big shortening. From 6 syllables down to 2. But with my poor knowledge I cannot confirm or deny, can just ride along a wait for a native to confirm

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I think おいー>おえぇ〜 in slang. So 怖い becomes こわえぇ, not こえ. Making きもい into きめ〜 doesn't feel like it's correct (well, not in the dialect of Japanese I speak), but as a non-native I could be wrong.

I just wanted to throw my one cent in until a native chimes in with his opinion.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I think おいー>おえぇ〜 in slang. So 怖い becomes こわえぇ, not こえ. Making きもい into きめ〜 doesn't feel like it's correct (well, not in the dialect of Japanese I speak), but as a non-native I could be wrong.

I just wanted to throw my one cent in until a native chimes in with his opinion.
On the topic of こわえ versus こえー, I think I said こえー because I remembered this video: YouTube - バナナマン 怖い話. About 30 seconds in it sounds like they say こえー multiple times. I agree though, きもい to きめー does feel weird, it just made the most sense to me in this case. Anyways, like everyone's said, gonna defer to a native on this.