JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

勤めます vs. 働きます - 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Hi masaegu san, could you kindly explain to me what's the difference between 会社に勤める and 会社で働く?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-07-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi masaegu san, could you kindly explain to me what's the difference between 会社に勤める and 会社で働く?
The one important difference is that native speakers definitely prefer saying the former while Japanese-learners tend to use the latter.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks masaegu san. I have a few more questions.

First of all, I would like to know if both 会社に勤める and 会社で働く are referring to "work at a company" instead of "work for a company"?

And also, can I say "高島屋に勤める"?

Secondly, I am curious to know if I am right to say that the difference between 椅子に掛ける and 椅子に座る is that the former refers to sitting on something (floor is excluded), whereas the latter is refers to sitting on something and also on the floor?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-07-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
First of all, I would like to know if both 会社に勤める and 会社で働く are referring to "work at a company" instead of "work for a company"?
会社に勤める can mean both but 会社で働く basically means "work at a company". That is because even though you may work at Company A as a physical place to work in but you may not belong to that company.

Quote:
And also, can I say "高島屋に勤める"?
Yes, if you want to sound like one of us, which I hope that you do. If you say 高島屋で働く, you will sound somewhat foreign as I said in my last post.

Quote:
Secondly, I am curious to know if I am right to say that the difference between 椅子に掛ける and 椅子に座る is that the former refers to sitting on something (floor is excluded), whereas the latter is refers to sitting on something and also on the floor?
You are totally mistaken here. Why use the word "something" when 椅子 can only mean a "chair"?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Araa!!! I made a mistake there and I should have omitted 椅子.

Could you kindly explain to me what's the difference between "に掛ける" and "に座る"?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Could you kindly explain to me what's the difference between "に掛ける" and "に座る"?
They both mean "to sit down on ~~ " but there is a difference.

We use both 掛ける and 座る when talking about sitting down on a chair, couch and any kind of seating tools with a certain height to them.

When talking about sitting in a tatami-matted room or outside on the ground/grass, most people would only use 座る.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2010, 11:38 AM

はい、分かりました。masaeguさん、本当にどうもありが うございました。

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2010, 03:36 PM

By the way, masaegu san. What's the difference いいですね and よかったですね?Is the difference only present and past tense or is there something more about it?

My guess is that when someone tells me that he would be going to tour (but he hasn't go yet), then I say "いいですね".

But if he only told me after he returned from the tour that he went for a tour, then I say "よかったですね". Am I right?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
By the way, masaegu san. What's the difference いいですね and よかったですね?Is the difference only present and past tense or is there something more about it?

My guess is that when someone tells me that he would be going to tour (but he hasn't go yet), then I say "いいですね".

But if he only told me after he returned from the tour that he went for a tour, then I say "よかったですね". Am I right?
よかった is merely the past tense of いい (and よい).
(#10 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:

What you said is basically correct but there's more to consider than just present and past.

1. Make sure that the other person has actually said something positive before you can say either.

2. We often say よかったですね to someone who hasn't done whatever is the topic. This is because s/he has already told you about it. The decision to do that something has already been made; therefore, it's OK to use the past tense よかった.