JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
neothe1 (Offline)
New to JF

01-23-2011, 07:31 AM

Oh yeah. I couldn't agree more. Now, if I weren't so damn lazy...

Yes, the iPhone has Skype, of course, as well as Fring and any other messenger/VoIP solution you might need. The only caveat is that unlimited 3G is still rare in many places, so most of these solutions are used when you're on WiFi.

The iPhone 4 has a front-facing camera, and it has been used for FaceTime. I think they got it to work on Fring, but not on Skype, yet.

Hokuriku, eh? What's that like? I've lived in Nagoya (Aichi Pref.), Gifu (Gifu Pref.), and Matsumoto (Nagano Pref.). Matsumoto (despite the alpine snow and cold) was, by far, my most favourite place to live in. I really can't stand Asian humidity.

Tokyo and Singapore can be on par in this regard, in my experience...but you can't get away from it, because the alternative is the dry heat you get in Israel (let along the whole situation with the hamsin). Right now, I'm holed up in snowy Ontario, doing my grad school stuff here, but let me tell you--I do miss Matsumoto.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2011, 10:40 AM

I heard Matsumoto is really nice (isn't that like the center of Japan on google maps?)-- I have to admit that I turned down a trip to there a couple of years ago... I'd like to check it out someday though. As far as big cities go in Japan, I think I could live in Nagoya without going crazy (which I don't feel would be the case in any other big city). I actually did a homestay near Nagoya before and I liked it very much.

I've been to Gifu quite a few times-- I went to an Onsen there on Christmas actually. It was so beautiful. I've been to Gero Onsen as well, too.

All I can say is that if you don't like Asian humidity then you wouldn't like it around where I am. I actually don't like it either, but all the great things kind of balance that out. We do get a lot of rain though (and crazy ass weather).

You should try southern California for some good weather!

It's fun learning all the crazy weather words around here-- does your dictionary have 雷雪 in it? I had to look up what the English word for it was!
(#33 (permalink))
Old
neothe1 (Offline)
New to JF

01-23-2011, 06:00 PM

Matsumoto *is* very nice. There's a castle and everything (in fact, I heard that the black "raven" of Matsumoto-jo has some some of contrasting relationship with the white "heron" of Himeji-jo). I wish I'd stayed in Nagoya more, because the circumstances of my life there were quite...difficult. Having said this, it's one of the most green urban centres I'd visited--and it's much more comfortable than Tokyo climate-wise. Now, are we talking about the same Gifu over here?! The way I remember it, it was kind of a dilapidated dump of a city. Mhumm...

SoCal, eh? Nah, I'll take the "cool and rainy" Vancouver weather any day over any of this. You should try Vancouver. You'll never leave!

As for 雷雪, all of the dictionaries I have give me two separate kanji ("thunder" and "snow"--so I'm guessing "thunderstorm"?) These kanji are really pretty. I like the symmetrical ones, or the ones with straightforward meanings: 詩 is my favourite. "Voice temple"--what can be more beautiful?
(#34 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2011, 07:36 PM

らいせつ
When u can't find it, go to yahoo jp 辞書. 90% you will find it there...now, I know what it translates to, but I can't say I know what it is like LOL I must be in the wrong area of the USA since I have never seen it. The dictionary says there is many here in the USA and in the Artic. I live in tornado alley tho so I can say I have surely seen plenty of 雷雹 (if the word exists LOL)

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ

Last edited by chryuop : 01-23-2011 at 07:46 PM.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
neothe1 (Offline)
New to JF

01-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Weird. None of my dictionaries have this word. To be honest, though, I have never even heard of a "thundersnow" in English, either. There's an interesting Wikipedia article on it, though...