LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Why would a Japanese game maker be interested in a game about the Bible?
Maybe all the things they could do with the 'Sodomites'?

Quote:
We Japanese do not need the 'Jesus Christ'! Don't you know? Showa Tenno (Emperor Hirohito) was a God before MacArthur and American military forced him to say that he was no longer a God. Therefore, Tenno Heika (Emperor Akihito) is son of a God! I know he exist for real. However how can you believe that someone named 'Jesus Christ' even existed and is "son of God" like you say? Japanese is already fine, thank you very much. Please send Christian way foolish thinking to Africa and poor dirty Asia countries like Korea.

Last edited by steel : 01-29-2011 at 12:18 AM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
tplarkin7 (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2011, 02:03 AM

@MissMisa, I don't disagree with you that it is far better to be on the inside if this were to see the light of day. What I have is a finished product that took 5 years to complete. It's voluminous. I have had success prior to this effort which convinced me that you could be an outsider, and succeed. This work is compelling enough for the right developer at the right time. How many awful games are made by "insiders"?

@MMM, Japanese game developers have been losing ground in the West for over a decade. They do have a fascination with biblical themes in their games and anime.

@steel, This is an epic RPG. It could be a WRPG like Oblivion, or a JRPG like Final Fantasy. Only, the setting is 30 A.D. in the Roman controlled terrtories west of the Jordan river.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-29-2011, 02:18 AM

Steel, I don't know what you are saying or who you are quoting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplarkin7 View Post

@MMM, Japanese game developers have been losing ground in the West for over a decade. They do have a fascination with biblical themes in their games and anime.

Biblical themes have appeared here and there, but I think it is a stretch to say there is and significant level of "fascination" for Christianity in Japan. Religious themed games don't even sell in the US.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

01-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplarkin7 View Post
@MissMisa, I don't disagree with you that it is far better to be on the inside if this were to see the light of day. What I have is a finished product that took 5 years to complete. It's voluminous. I have had success prior to this effort which convinced me that you could be an outsider, and succeed. This work is compelling enough for the right developer at the right time. How many awful games are made by "insiders"?
It might be... but I've never heard of it happen. What is the past success you talk about? Those with original ideas usually learn the tools of the trade, get a few friends and do it themselves. This is a great time to be an indie game maker, (iphone apps, facebook games, xbl arcade etc)

If you are looking to make a high detail, highly graphical, big blockbuster AAA game title then it just will not happen. Why would a company like Capcom risk big bucks to a stranger? The fact you contacted them at all suggests to me you need to do a little more research.

All my lecturers at Uni are ex game designers, and they tell me that the majority of games made and designed get canned anyway.

If it took you 5 years to write this product, it won't be harmful to spend time getting a degree in scriptwriting and give you a better chance to get it published, if it's something you really believe in.

It's not intangible there is just ways to do it and ways not to do it.

Also, if you are set on doing it, send the script to all your local game companies. I strongly doubt any game company will even look at it but... you'll have better luck than any other Japanese company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Religious themed games don't even sell in the US.
It really depends if it's based on the the time period or actual religion. If it's a religion based story then probably not, but if it's set in a historical religious context and that is only a minor or non-existant part of it, then it's not an issue. Assasin's Creed springs to mind.

Last edited by MissMisa : 01-29-2011 at 08:52 AM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
To me, if the job wouldn't require Japanese (which is hilarious considering this is a position with Capcom Japan [in Japan], almost guaranteed to require near-fluent Japanese), then the correct path when sending a cover letter for a job would be to have it professionally translated if it were necessary to have it in Japanese.
I was going to post something similar.

I am not sure why anyone would apply for a job in Japan, without being proficient enough in Japanese to do it. Also to do something as unprofessional as use google-translate eeep. What a waste of time

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.