JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Japanese hair related vocabulary (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/35899-japanese-hair-related-vocabulary.html)

Jenthepen 01-30-2011 07:06 PM

Japanese hair related vocabulary

Hey I can't really find a good sourse to get some hair related vocabulary.

I wanna know the terms used to discribe hair colours, I have some terms...i think...I am not sure about the pronounciation though.

Blonde = 金髪 きんぱつ
Black hair = 黒髪 くろかみ
Brown hair = 茶髪 ちゃぱつ
Red hair = 赤毛 あかけ ????
Grey hair 白髪 はくはつ (does this mean white hair or grey hair or both?)

Are there anymore common colours I should know?

And used in a sentence to say the colour of your hair you would say
私の髪は金髪です right?

I also wanna know hair related verbs...or what words you would use to show that your "doing" these things.

- Wash hair
- Brush hair
- dye hair
- Cut hair

And last but not least, I would like to also know terms used to discribe lenth and appearance of hair such as

- curly hair
- straight hair
- long hair
- short hair

And anything else that will assist me , and anyone else that views this and wants to learn these terms XD thanks in advance. (oh provide kana pronunciation please also thanks)

KyleGoetz 01-30-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenthepen (Post 848965)

I wanna know the terms used to discribe hair colours, I have some terms...i think...I am not sure about the pronounciation though.

Blonde = 金髪 きんぱつ
Black hair = 黒髪 くろかみ
Brown hair = 茶髪 ちゃぱつ
Red hair = 赤毛 あかけ ????

私の髪は金髪です right?

I also wanna know hair related verbs...or what words you would use to show that your "doing" these things.

- Wash hair
- Brush hair
- dye hair
- Cut hair

And last but not least, I would like to also know terms used to discribe lenth and appearance of hair such as

- curly hair
- straight hair
- long hair
- short hair

And anything else that will assist me , and anyone else that views this and wants to learn these terms XD thanks in advance. (oh provide kana pronunciation please also thanks)

For a laundry list of common vocabulary words, try this first: http://www.alc.co.jp/

RickOShay 01-30-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenthepen (Post 848965)

Blonde = 金髪 きんぱつ
Black hair = 黒髪 くろかみ
Brown hair = 茶髪 ちゃぱつ
Red hair = 赤毛 あかけ ????

私の髪は金髪です right?

- Wash hair
- Brush hair
- dye hair
- Cut hair

- curly hair
- straight hair
- long hair
- short hair

I believe しらが is the commonly used reading for 白髪

KyleGoetz 01-30-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickOShay (Post 848987)
I believe しらが is the commonly used reading for 白髪

No, はくはつ. I can't even spacebar my way from しらげ to 白髪.

RickOShay 01-30-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 848996)
No, はくはつ. I can't even spacebar my way from しらげ to 白髪.

しらが、not しらげ

白髪 - 辞書すべて - goo辞書

I cannot be sure which is most common/proper, but I can say I have only seen/heard しらが used.

Jenthepen 01-31-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 848973)
For a laundry list of common vocabulary words, try this first: http://www.alc.co.jp/

Xd. Appreshiate the link...but its all in Japanese. I am not advanced and its very slow and almost impossible for me to try to read and find anything. Xd if I could read everything here, I probably wouldn't have to ask the question

Also to add, I've heard both はくはつ And しらが but I too don't know what one is used more....

RickOShay 01-31-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenthepen (Post 849011)
Xd. Appreshiate the link...but its all in Japanese. I am not advanced and its very slow and almost impossible for me to try to read and find anything. Xd if I could read everything here, I probably wouldn't have to ask the question

Also to add, I've heard both はくはつ And しらが but I too don't know what one is used more....

My vote is on しらが

masaegu 01-31-2011 03:25 AM

Both are correct. It's the classic 大和言葉 vs. 漢語 issue.

白髪のおっさん = しらが

白髪の紳士 = はくはつ

"Darn, I'm getting grey hair!" = しらが

Frequency-wise, one would hear しらが considerably more often.

KyleGoetz 01-31-2011 04:26 AM

Sorry, guys, I guess my 漢語 is just so much more elite than yours ;)

KyleGoetz 01-31-2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenthepen (Post 849011)

There's a form input there. Type your English word. Hit the button next to it. Receive Japanese translation.