LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile correction - 02-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
come on. russian is the most colourful i know.
best part is that by using these words they actually communicate rather well - specially like people who work on buildings - just pure insults in order to have someone pass something or to simply say something.
f.e

dai menja eto huj!
sto? eto?
net. blad, vot tuda etot huj.
ROTFL

The mentioned conversation might take place between two american actors in some Hollywood movie in case if they tried to play Russian construction workers.

Here is a much more correct version in Russian :

- dai mne etu hujnyu!
- kakuyu? etu?
- nyet, blyad', von tu !

Quote:
i love all of those saying - there are several for each special moment in your life - suka, pridurak, zajebal, naxuj, pizgets etc... and no - english language doesn't have any words that can rival them.
More correct would be : pridurok instead of pridurak, nahuj instead of naxuj,
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
02-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I don't think OP was saying English belongs to Americans. I read it more as "Britons have eloquent speech; Americans have disgusting sailor mouths."
Yeah. You are right. I misread perhaps. lol. But I've seen them try to claim the language as their own. I also usually see the alternate view to everybody else

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#13 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
pridurok instead of pridurak, nahuj instead of naxuj,
i used "x" as russian "h" out of habit. it is rather hard to write in correct russian with latin letters, at least for me
not to mention when it comes to - makniznak, chornjiznak etc.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile language - 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
i used "x" as russian "h" out of habit.
Yes, I understood

If we are discussing harsh words and direct insults, you should provide more Russian profanity

Examples :

Da mne vsyo pohuj !

Idite na huj !

Poshyol v pizdu!

etc etc
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Read your link and you will see it is pretty tame.

In Japanese it isn't the words as much as how they are said. A word like "omae" which an adult might use with a child can be translated to something near profanity when used as a fighting word. Same word, different usage.

People ask all the time "How do you say 'F*** you'" in Japanese," and it isn't an easy question to answer because there are no words like that.
Haha, I remember finding a website that purported to have Japanese profanity lessons way back when I was in junior high school. IIRC, Eff you was く○して寝る
(#16 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-04-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
Yes, I understood

If we are discussing harsh words and direct insults, you should provide more Russian profanity

Examples :

Da mne vsyo pohuj !

Idite na huj !

Poshyol v pizdu!

etc etc
actauly most of them are fun to say like when don't want to do anything then "ai, u menja vsjo/vse pohuj". or "bljad" - like ultimate word for when things go wrong
only word that i think has some bad stigma is "urod", i just don't like it. just feels bad to say...what do you think?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-04-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Read your link and you will see it is pretty tame.

In Japanese it isn't the words as much as how they are said. A word like "omae" which an adult might use with a child can be translated to something near profanity when used as a fighting word. Same word, different usage.

People ask all the time "How do you say 'F*** you'" in Japanese," and it isn't an easy question to answer because there are no words like that.
100% on the ball.

I am not sure how this turned into "how many cuss words does Japanese have" my impression was the OP wanted to know if the language sounds harsh (like the way it is spoken). Well my answer to that is no. I think Japanese is quite soft and easy on the ears compared to the way German or English or Chinese or something might sound. Also I have never been to Italy but my friend who went there for his honeymoon told me everybody talks really loud, like they are pissed off at each other all the time (but they are actually just having a normal conversation).
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-05-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I don't think OP was saying English belongs to Americans. I read it more as "Britons have eloquent speech; Americans have disgusting sailor mouths."
*cackles* nope, the British are just more varied and inventive with their swears. Americans seem to stick to what they know and trust more readily, meaning there's not much deviation from a few set words/phrases according to group/area.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-05-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
*cackles* nope, the British are just more varied and inventive with their swears. Americans seem to stick to what they know and trust more readily, meaning there's not much deviation from a few set words/phrases according to group/area.
LOL! Columbine that's pretty close to what I was thinking. Either that or the person who things the Brits have less foul language just doesn't recognize what they are hearing.

I remember as a kid curses were the first things I learned in other languages, and sometimes it was the only thing I learned other than "hello" and "thank you". Mostly they the ones my father's students spoke, so I could quietly mutter them without my parents understanding I was insulting the guys.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.

Last edited by TalnSG : 02-05-2011 at 04:18 AM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-05-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Well, on the first count, I never said Britons are actually eloquent and clean mouthed.

On the second count, you just don't get to hear our varied and inventive swears in England because that kind of thing doesn't make it into the movies. Just like about the only Britain-specific profanity that makes it to the US is "bloody" "wanker" and "tosser."