JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross เฒฅโ€ฟเ

03-13-2011, 06:17 PM

I don't understand why people are so unwilling to learn from watching real Japanese people There are plenty of great Japanese movies and shows...
(#12 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

03-13-2011, 06:38 PM

didn't read much of this topic , but...
lol? how can you have problems with the pronunciation?

japanese, when it comes to speaking, is probably among most simple languages. you speak the way you read - no catchy things like in english where you need to know how to read the word.

thou my native is rather hard language to speak, so maybe it just seems so to me.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-13-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
didn't read much of this topic , but...
lol? how can you have problems with the pronunciation?

japanese, when it comes to speaking, is probably among most simple languages. you speak the way you read - no catchy things like in english where you need to know how to read the word.

thou my native is rather hard language to speak, so maybe it just seems so to me.
You are almost assuredly not pronouncing Japanese correctly either.
I think this because you seem so unaware of how difficult getting pronunciation right is.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
If you can effortlessly understand 100% of an anime, talk show, drama, news...whatever...then you will speak. And you will be fluent.
This is absolutely not true.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

03-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
You are almost assuredly not pronouncing Japanese correctly either.
I think this because you seem so unaware of how difficult getting pronunciation right is.
yes. i know there are little things for natives. every language has them, but still compared to other languages those are small potatoes. you can have a text written in hirigana and as long as a person knows specifics of ใ‚„ใ€ใ‚†ใ€ใ‚ˆ and ", then he can basically read every text there is with acceptable fluency. give someone the same text in english and it will be a train wreck.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
yes. i know there are little things for natives. every language has them, but still compared to other languages those are small potatoes. you can have a text written in hirigana and as long as a person knows specifics of ใ‚„ใ€ใ‚†ใ€ใ‚ˆ and ", then he can basically read every text there is with acceptable fluency. give someone the same text in english and it will be a train wreck.
Oh. I misunderstood what you meant. You are correct that it is easy to see kana and know how it sounds with about 99% accuracy or so.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
lucagalbu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-15-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
You're right, but one thing is read a language, another thing is read it with the exact accent, rhythm , intonation...
For example, I can read and speak english, but I guess I have a strange accent, because I tend to pronounce some weird sounds according to my language sounds (e.g., for me is very hard to pronounce your "r") and even if I read the words fluently, my intonation is still different from yours. I.e. even if I speak fluently, you'll understand I'm not English.

E'l naufragar m'รจ dolce in questo mare di Dirac.
(And to flounder in this Dirac sea is sweet to me.)
Leopardi feat Paul Dirac
(#18 (permalink))
Old
kalcia (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2011, 07:51 PM

I'm studying japanese, and watching anime /reading manga is kind of helpfull.
English isn't my first language, and since I can remember I learned most of it by watching tv series (as kid - cartoon network ). Right now, most of the english movies I watch is in original language with no subtitles. I often watch the same movie multiply times, this makes me remember whole phrazes or sentences. I know that my english isn't perfect and much needs polishing, but I can communicate with almost no problem I also read many books in english, I understand much more than I can say ^^;
I find watching anime very similar, also reading manga polishes my knowledge of japanese alphabet. But in order to make full of anime, you already need to know some japanese. Starting from scratch won't do.