JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2011, 07:36 AM

I think it would be Cheisa (チェイサー)instead of Chaisa (チャイサー). Incidentally, タイムチェイサー, upon doing a quick google/google images search, appears to be the name of a race horse. Go figure!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-21-2011, 08:48 AM

look up my original post mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Time Chaser - I would go in katakana MR. タイム チェーサー (as in タイムマシーン), kanji will look silly and not cool (I cannot believe I am actually saying this...)
and also what i said about English being far from perfect to immitate original Japanese sounds.

Also both チェイサー and チェーサー are correct
(#13 (permalink))
Old
orgist (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2011, 04:28 AM

Thanks ryuurui......
@Kyle Goetz, sir what kind of context you want I didn't get it??? I already told that it will be the name of a time machine... What more data do I have to give? Please clarify....
Thank you
(#14 (permalink))
Old
orgist (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2011, 04:32 AM

I totally agree that english is not correct but there is no other option.... I just want to write my story in english with essence of japanese but I don't want to be criticised to use wrong japanese terms. That's just it.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-22-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgist View Post
Thanks ryuurui......
@Kyle Goetz, sir what kind of context you want I didn't get it??? I already told that it will be the name of a time machine... What more data do I have to give? Please clarify....
Thank you
My mistake. I had forgotten what your original question was!

Go with what ryuurui wrote.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
orgist (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2011, 11:30 AM

@ryuurui, sir I think you have mistaken to understand what time chaser is, It's the name of a machine, so why MR. Taimu Cheisa?
also, Taimu Cheisa is not what I wanted, It sounds like an english name from the mouth a Japanese but I wanted to know the TRANSLATION of Time Chaser in Japanese........

If you all having problem with the name then please suggest me a cool name for the time machine. This machine is made by a Japanese so he must give it a Japanese name not english.

Please suggest me some japanese names for the machine written in english with its english meaning if you please.

Hope I cleared my question
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-22-2011, 01:11 PM

name it Gazilla Swatch
(#18 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgist View Post
@ryuurui, sir I think you have mistaken to understand what time chaser is, It's the name of a machine, so why MR. Taimu Cheisa?
also, Taimu Cheisa is not what I wanted, It sounds like an english name from the mouth a Japanese but I wanted to know the TRANSLATION of Time Chaser in Japanese........
"Taimu cheisaa" is going to be the best. It's like how the translation of "sushi" into English is "sushi," even though "it sounds too Japanese."

For comparison, the Japanese word for "elevator" is "erebeetaa" (there is no other word you can use). The word for "croissant" is "kurowason" (from French). The word for "part-time job" is "arubaito" (from the German arbeit—"work"), etc.

Nearly any good version we give you will either have some English or Chinese in it. That's the nature of complex concepts in Japanese.

Just like how complex English concepts either have Latin or French or Greek in them (try naming dinosaurs without sounding Greek!).

I mean, you could say something like "jikan no otte," but the ji, kan, and te all come from Chinese. It also sounds really dumb in Japanese.

In short, too bad if the correct translation is not what you wanted. Ask us to translate a different word, then.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 06-22-2011 at 06:28 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-22-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
""erebeetaa"
This is what bugs me. I am not a native speaker so you might be the person to ask, Kyle. Wouldn't you read those "ee" as "ee" in "seek"?

Non-existant (in English language) extended sounds are really tough to write in English.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
This is what bugs me. I am not a native speaker so you might be the person to ask, Kyle. Wouldn't you read those "ee" as "ee" in "seek"?

Non-existant (in English language) extended sounds are really tough to write in English.
No, because it's romaji, so I know it's ええ.

If you inserted it in the middle of an English sentence with no context, I'd assume it was some made up word pronounced like you suggested.