JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
orgist (Offline)
New to JF

Question how to use -er words - 06-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Hello everybody.I'm writing a novel with japanese characters and i'm stuck in a place. I want to ask that how to use -er words in Japanese? e.g. chaser, runner cutter etc. I used google translate to translate CHASE which gave Tsuiseki but when I entered CHASER is gave cheisa and runna for RUNNER and teima for timer. Pls help ASAP and please also tell me the use of 'no' in japanese
e.g. time means jikan and chase means tsuseki but time chase gives jikan no tsuiseki... what is this no?
please tell me how to say chaser in japanese but i want it in roman please i can't read Kanji etc....
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-18-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgist View Post
Hello everybody.I'm writing a novel with japanese characters and i'm stuck in a place. I want to ask that how to use -er words in Japanese? e.g. chaser, runner cutter etc. I used google translate to translate CHASE which gave Tsuiseki but when I entered CHASER is gave cheisa and runna for RUNNER and teima for timer. Pls help ASAP and please also tell me the use of 'no' in japanese
e.g. time means jikan and chase means tsuseki but time chase gives jikan no tsuiseki... what is this no?
please tell me how to say chaser in japanese but i want it in roman please i can't read Kanji etc....
From the slightest bit of Japanese I know, I'll try to explain how I figure 'no' is used. For example "tomodachi no uchi" means "the home of a friend" The 'no' part could be the 'of' part, giving something some sort of possession of another.

KyleGoetz and masaegu are infinitely better at explaining things such as grammar. I know they and I haven't seen eye to eye very often, but I'm way past those days. I respect their knowledge and sometimes learn from it, though I'm not nearly at the level where most of the knowledge they impart would benefit me. They are probably your best resources here. I'd wait until they show up.

Last edited by JohnBraden : 06-18-2011 at 01:22 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
To translate we need context. What kind of chaser and runner? Police-style? Race-style? Hunting-style?

There are a billion different uses of "no." The one in your case is linking two nouns together—you can't always just squeeze two together in Japanese and have it be grammatical. In your "jikan no tsuiseki,"
jikan = time
tsuiseki = chase/pursuit
no = noun linker

Together, you basically have "the pursuit of time."

I honestly can't tell you if it even makes sense in Japanese, though. It's such a weird concept that I daren't help further.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
orgist (Offline)
New to JF

06-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Sir, please don't say you will not help me please......

Actually in my story a scientist named Dr. Hideaki Kojima built a time machine whose name I wanted to be something flashy like "The Time Chaser" in the sense that it chases the time and take us to it.
I want to ask what the name will be in japanese.

PLEASE HELP
(#5 (permalink))
Old
orgist (Offline)
New to JF

06-19-2011, 06:05 PM

And please also tell me what is the style of a Japanese news reporter? I mean how he says good morning and what he says at last (good bye or something) and when the news reporter talks to a person in interview then what suffix he will use (-san or -sama or -shi)? and in formal talking wether the reporter will use to call the person by his name or surname? Please reply ASAP
(#6 (permalink))
Old
orgist (Offline)
New to JF

06-20-2011, 04:56 PM

@GoAway Madam, its is important for you to know the context before talking. For your knolwledge, I'm writing the story in english but there are few characters in it who are from Japan so that's why I'm asking for help. Hope you understand.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-20-2011, 05:06 PM

Time Chaser - I would go in katakana MR. タイム チェーサー (as in タイムマシーン), kanji will look silly and not cool (I cannot believe I am actually saying this...)

Quote:
And please also tell me what is the style of a Japanese news reporter? I mean how he says good morning and what he says at last (good bye or something) and when the news reporter talks to a person in interview then what suffix he will use (-san or -sama or -shi)? and in formal talking wether the reporter will use to call the person by his name or surname? Please reply ASAP
I agree with Kyle here, that we need a context. On TV they say おはようございます & おつかれさまでした. Japanese rarely go personal, and they address people in 3rd person (by name, if they know it, if not there are other ways to do it). 様 is a polite way (official), さん is also polite but used while addressing people you know as well (even of the same age). Both postfixes come after the name of the person they are adressing. If you talk to a crowd, you say 皆様.

Last edited by ryuurui : 06-20-2011 at 05:26 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
orgist (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2011, 04:23 AM

@ryuurui thank you very very much for your information sir but I didn't understand what you said actually I don't know japanese alphabets...... I'm writing in english and I also have to write all japanese words in english e.g. san, sama, sensei, otosan, okasan, ohaiou gozaimasu etc.
Would please use english words......
Thank you
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-21-2011, 04:29 AM

All we're saying is "give us context." We CANNOT answer your question until you do.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-21-2011, 04:33 AM

It cannot be written in English without deforming its original sound.

Time Chaser - Mr. Taimu Chaisah (both "a" sounds are extended)
TV greeting at the beginning of a program - oyayou gozaimasu (ou = extended "o")
TV greeting at the end of a program - otsukare sama deshita
Everyone - minasama
v. polite way to adress someone - name + sama
polite and casual at the same time - name + san