JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
neophyte (Offline)
New to JF

Can anyone help translate the characters on this glass? - 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me for failing to post the image of the drinking glass clearly.

Here is a web link to the image:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/photo2jl.jpg/[/IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by neophyte : 07-13-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: trying to get the image of the drinking glass in the post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
neophyte (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
(#3 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2011, 06:33 PM

Where is it from actually?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
neophyte (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1nn1 View Post
Where is it from actually?
I don't understand your question, but I'll try to answer.

The glass is part of a set of drinking glasses that were acquired in Tokyo in the 1950s by my parents and recently bequeathed to me.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2011, 08:27 PM

Thanks!
I don't think I could help you anyways though, but some background information is always useful to get your answers
(#6 (permalink))
Old
neophyte (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Thank you for your advice. I hope someone in this forum can help solve the mystery!

Cheers!!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-13-2011, 11:07 PM

I believe its 福, but other users who is more used to reading calligraphy can confirm

If it is 福, then there is no direct translation, it can mean a bunch of thing: Happiness, Luck, Wealth, Good Health..
(#8 (permalink))
Old
neophyte (Offline)
New to JF

07-14-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
I believe its 福, but other users who is more used to reading calligraphy can confirm

If it is 福, then there is no direct translation, it can mean a bunch of thing: Happiness, Luck, Wealth, Good Health..
Thank you!!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-14-2011, 03:26 AM

Godwine is correct, this does look like 福 in cursive script, however, (if it indeed is 福) the form itself is incorrect. There should not be a vertical line in the middle of that character. A short one can be written, and then it indicates a left hand side strokes of 口 and 田, but the line in that character goes from very top and it is perpendicular to the character base. In short, it is wrong.

Below, ink rubbing from a work by 智永 (Zhì Yǒng), from the Sui dynasty period (隋朝, 581 - 619). As you can see there is no vertical line in the middle.

There is a form in clerical script, where the 口 and 田 are combined with a vertical line on the left hand side, however, it is not showing on any of the cursive forms in the dictionary. I think someone based this on either seal script or clerical script. Seal script forms of 福 are quite popular. In those, both sides of 口 and 田 are often merged with vertical lines. If pictures are needed to understand this better, I will post them up.

Last edited by ryuurui : 07-14-2011 at 03:35 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Godwine is correct, this does look like 福 in cursive script, however, (if it indeed is 福) the form itself is incorrect. There should not be a vertical line in the middle of that character. A short one can be written, and then it indicates a left hand side strokes of 口 and 田, but the line in that character goes from very top and it is perpendicular to the character base. In short, it is wrong.

Below, ink rubbing from a work by 智永 (Zhì Yǒng), from the Sui dynasty period (隋朝, 581 - 619). As you can see there is no vertical line in the middle.

There is a form in clerical script, where the 口 and 田 are combined with a vertical line on the left hand side, however, it is not showing on any of the cursive forms in the dictionary. I think someone based this on either seal script or clerical script. Seal script forms of 福 are quite popular. In those, both sides of 口 and 田 are often merged with vertical lines. If pictures are needed to understand this better, I will post them up.
Could it be written in simplified chinese? I don't know anything about calligraphy, sorry...