JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jackcb91 (Offline)
New to JF

What is Kanji and how to accomplish name translations - 11-22-2011, 02:21 AM

Hi,

Before I post my query I would like to say I am new to these forums, so hello! I am not here for a one off problem, I hope to learn about Japanese culture and want to visit Japan in the next 2 years or so.

What brings me here is the search for some Kanji name translations. I have a Japanese friend who is very close to me and I want to show her how much she means to me. I am working with a designer to create a poster with both our names written in Kanji - as it is my understanding that Japanese names are customarily written in this format and not Katakana. So I have a question, is it simple to translate the names 'Jack' and 'Marika' into Kanji? Maybe some reliable background information on what Kanji and Katakana are will help me understand.

In any case, what is the recommended way of going about this? Obviously this work will be done in photoshop, so will it be possible to import the characters? And how should they be arranged (vertically/horizontally?).

Also, can I have some opinions on what is best/most appropriate: Having it read 'Jack and Marika' or just 'Jack | Marika' (with a line separating the names?).

Sorry for my lack of knowledge and general ignorance, I am a noob.

Thanks,

Jack.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-22-2011, 02:47 AM

Japanese names are generally written in Kanji.

Jack is not a Japanese name - there is no correct way to write it in kanji. Go with katakana, it is the only correct way to write it in Japanese.

I am going to guess that Marika is your Japanese friend`s name? If so, I would be VERY careful about writing it in kanji without direct confirmation from your friend.

There are countless ways to write the same name in kanji. Think of it along the lines of spelling, but with far more variety. It would be incredibly embarrassing to go to all the trouble and then find that you have written her name with the wrong kanji... if it is written in kanji at all. Occasionally Japanese names are written in hiragana or katakana.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-22-2011, 02:57 AM

I am surprised that OP is asking internet strangers for this when he could ask his GF directly. She is the ONLY person, besides her family and friends, who knows how her name is written in kanji if it is indeed written in kanji.

"Jack" is ジャック and this is the only part of your question one can answer with certainty.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jackcb91 (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2011, 02:58 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Her mother is Japanese and her father is Australian - and she was born here in Australia so she has an English name (Marika). I am not on good terms with her at the moment and she doesn't want to talk to me so finding that information is impossible. In any case, it sounds like Kanji is not the way to go.

So given that we both have English names, it sounds like Katakana is the right choice?

Edit: Masaegu, I omitted the explanation of why I am asking internet strangers. I would ask her if I could. Plus, if I did ask her, she would probably figure out what I am doing.

Meaning her name in Katakana would be: マリカ

Last edited by jackcb91 : 11-22-2011 at 03:04 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-22-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcb91 View Post
Meaning her name in Katakana would be: マリカ
Right, that is unless her mom or whoever named the girl had a certain kanji combination in mind to go with the pronunciation.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
jackcb91 (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2011, 03:20 AM

OK then I will have to contact her mother and explain the situation.

Thanks
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-22-2011, 03:22 AM

The only word in kanji sounding ジャック is 惹句 (catch phrase).
Although, I suppose you could use kanji 惹 (attract), since you clearly want to woo her, and another one sounding つく, such as 筑 (an ancient musical instrument), and tell her a heavily stretched story that you seduce women by attracting them to yourself using your charming voice that sounds like an ancient instrument. To which she will go ええええええええええええっ!

As to Marika, as masaegu said, ask her, as there can be TONS of ways of writing this name in kanji. I give you one example: 真李花 (Pure Plum Blossom).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-23-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukiguni View Post
真李花…う~ん…多分これはないな~…(特に『李』)

惹句/惹筑…う~ん…これはもっとないな~…
ないない。無意味だよね、自分しか読めない漢字名付け たって使う場所ないし、誰にも読めないから、結局すぐ そばに「ジャック」とか「JACK」って書くことにな るのがオチだから二度手間だよね~。

(#9 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

11-23-2011, 09:18 AM

私が書いた文書の意味は全く違います。まず、「惹句」 という言葉は「ジャック」を漢字で書く例の一つではな く、両方フレーズのお読みは同じと言う意味でしょう。 それだけです。そして「真李花」についてなんですが、 日本人が読めないお名前持ってる人は多いじゃないんで すか (雅号を含めて)?

Last edited by ryuurui : 11-23-2011 at 09:25 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tural (Offline)
New to JF

Kanji - 11-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Hi people, i've started to lern japan language , so i need help from you. I wont to know how i can write kanji myself, i mean have there any rules ,which by them you can understand how makeing kanji?