JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MasaruShin (Offline)
Shinobi from Shambhala.

Native Japanese Thoughts on American made Japanese Movies. - 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM

Movies such as: The Last Samurai, Kill Bill, Memoirs of a Geisha, etc. I have many Japanese friends who live here, all of which despise the American made Japanese movies. They feel as if they insult their culture, and I do somewhat agree when they explain the native culture so exponentially. I was inquiring on the thoughts of the native Japanese here, who may shed further light into it. My Japanese friends(all of which are 100% native Japanese that moved here), also hate anime.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Im not to sure about your question as a whole. I have never asked any of my japanese friends. But I dont think you can include kill bill on there. Its not really trying to be a Japanese movie, it is what it is.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2009, 07:59 PM

I especially enjoy when they have Chinese actors playing Japanese characters.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
I especially enjoy when they have Chinese actors playing Japanese characters.
That's what pisses them off the most. But not enough Japanese actors or actresses can speak passable English is the problem.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasaruShin View Post
Movies such as: The Last Samurai, Kill Bill, Memoirs of a Geisha, etc. I have many Japanese friends who live here, all of which despise the American made Japanese movies. They feel as if they insult their culture, and I do somewhat agree when they explain the native culture so exponentially. I was inquiring on the thoughts of the native Japanese here, who may shed further light into it. My Japanese friends(all of which are 100% native Japanese that moved here), also hate anime.
All of which were big hits in Japan.

The production company that made Memoirs of a Geisha (titled Sayuri in Japan) is Japanese-owned.

Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi are bigger box office draws in Japan than any female Japanese lead.

The Last Samurai did a higher box office in Japan than it did in the US, and did better critically, too.

And as was stated, Kill Bill doesn't count.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-17-2009, 08:35 PM

The Japanese-Americans that I know all hate The Last Samurai. Most my native Japanese friends all love The Last Samurai. Go figure.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2009, 11:35 PM

Have you ever asked their opinions of "Letters from Iwo Jima"?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-17-2009, 11:56 PM

I think there is a difference in attitudes outside Japan than inside. Inside, it`s generally positive - or at the least amusement. (Like with Kill Bill)

Outside Japan, I think that there is more exposure to stereotypes and racism toward Japanese... And movies like those tend to appear to only support and fortify those stereotypes.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

08-17-2009, 11:58 PM

It's hard for me to understand why anyone would be insulted by things like that. I mean, it's not like they have good portrayals of Americans or English people in what they make (from what I've seen).

In fact, I usually find their portrayals humorous. And the stereotypes are just hilarious. Even in dramas,if they have an English speaker, he is still forced to speak in a very unnatural English (although obviously is a native English speaker from the accent).

I've fortunately have never met any Japanese face-to-face (I have online) with such qualms as having their culture misrepresented or just innaccurately represented. They have much the same humor as I have about it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
It's hard for me to understand why anyone would be insulted by things like that. I mean, it's not like they have good portrayals of Americans or English people in what they make (from what I've seen).

In fact, I usually find their portrayals humorous. And the stereotypes are just hilarious. Even in dramas,if they have an English speaker, he is still forced to speak in a very unnatural English (although obviously is a native English speaker from the accent).

I've fortunately have never met any Japanese face-to-face (I have online) with such qualms as having their culture misrepresented or just innaccurately represented. They have much the same humor as I have about it.
Definitely. There's no point in getting offended. It's also a good laugh.