LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-05-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
You may beat me by fists and legs but Kill Bill is a pure crap. That girl armed by a sword looked like an idiot. The overall story is an example of degradation and primitivity.
All of Tarentino's films are.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#52 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-05-2010, 02:38 AM

Let's try and get back on topic, shall we?
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-05-2010, 03:10 AM

I also thought Ken's Character was "The Last Samurai" Tom's character might have tried to emulate that tradition but I never saw him as the last Samurai. I do see the irony of haveing the American sitting in front of the Emperor in Ken's place. Essentially showing what the Emperor has allready lost.

As to wether anyone could be Samurai, I suppose that would depend on the times. Currently it's as likely as anyone becomeing a Knight, wich is a similer type of warrior. ( You will note I didn't say the same.) I'm also sure you will have purest who believe in strict adherance to bloodlines.

I always have some problems with that attitude, no matter what it's based on or where it's at. You cut yourself off from so much potential when you restrict yourself to just a certain bloodline, just a certain gender or just a certain race.

Honestly, perhaps the best Knight in history could be a Japanes woman or the best Samurai a Poverty stricken hillbilly from West Virginia. To restrict things is to never know the possabilities. Course, maybe deep down, that's the point...no one really wants to know the possabilities.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile example - 01-05-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Like what? Give some examples.
For instance :

Behind Enemy Lines

The film, released by News Corporation division 20th Century Fox, features fictional news reports from Sky News, a sister company to Fox
None of the actors playing Serbians were actually Serbians; the producers said that they hired Croats to instruct the actors in bad Serbian language, because they could not find any Serbs willing to work on the film, due to anti-Serb sentiment carried through out the film. Vladimir Mashkov, the actor who played the Serbian sniper, Sasha, is Russian and Olek Krupa, the actor who played the Serbian General, Miroslav Lokar, is Polish. Also, the names of Serbian characters were not Serbian.
It was filmed in Slovakia, not Bosnia. During the shooting of the lakeside scene near the end, the countryside was unexpectedly devoid of snow. To recreate a snowy lake, the film's crew cleared part of a mountain of trees, used molten wax to create the appearance of a lake, and used paper snow to imitate real snow

Source

So, it's normal when Croats played roles of Serbs. And Chinese played roles of Japanese......
(#55 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-05-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
For instance :

Behind Enemy Lines

The film, released by News Corporation division 20th Century Fox, features fictional news reports from Sky News, a sister company to Fox
None of the actors playing Serbians were actually Serbians; the producers said that they hired Croats to instruct the actors in bad Serbian language, because they could not find any Serbs willing to work on the film, due to anti-Serb sentiment carried through out the film. Vladimir Mashkov, the actor who played the Serbian sniper, Sasha, is Russian and Olek Krupa, the actor who played the Serbian General, Miroslav Lokar, is Polish. Also, the names of Serbian characters were not Serbian.
It was filmed in Slovakia, not Bosnia. During the shooting of the lakeside scene near the end, the countryside was unexpectedly devoid of snow. To recreate a snowy lake, the film's crew cleared part of a mountain of trees, used molten wax to create the appearance of a lake, and used paper snow to imitate real snow

Source

So, it's normal when Croats played roles of Serbs. And Chinese played roles of Japanese......
You specifically said "Asians" so that is what I hoped you would focus on.

Yet, if Serbians are not willing to play the roles of Serbians, then I am not sure how that is Hollywood shooting specifically for "hill billy viewers" (your words) if they cast actors from other countries rather than scrap the whole production.

Having people from one country play the role of people from other countries happens every day, and America is not the only, or even the worst offender (assuming that is an offense). A Texan plays the lead in Bridget Jones' Diary and Englishman plays the role of American superhero Batman. An American also plays British super-sleuth Sherlock Holmes, and an Australian plays a Wyoming cowboy in Brokeback Mountain.

You mention Chinese actors playing Japanese roles, and if you are talking about Memoirs of a Geisha, that was done by design. Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh are bigger draws IN JAPAN than their female Japanese counterparts.

But how about non-Hollywood productions? Rumble in the Bronx is full of all kinds of accents from the Caucasian actors...nary a one from anywhere near New York.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile 01-05-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
then I am not sure how that is Hollywood shooting specifically for "hill billy viewers" (your words) if they cast actors from other countries rather than scrap the whole production.
*Native viewer* could be easily offended looking how characters of his countrymen are played by foreign actors. They looks like aliens, they speak on broken language etc. *Hillbilly viewer* usually spits on details.

Another example :

I found the movie suffered big time, for me, as a geek, after our heroes launched into space. The scenes at the Mir Space Station were unnecessary, and the script made the Russian Cosmonaut look like a sitcom character, a complete buffoon who fixes everything by hammering on it. I was offended by that character, not amused. I have a lot respect for the builders and cosmonauts of the Mir Space Station, and I think they should not have been depicted as idiots.

Source

As far as I know cosmonaut Andropov was played by a foreign actor (with a definitely jewish face).
(#57 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-05-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
*Native viewer* could be easily offended looking how characters of his countrymen are played by foreign actors. They looks like aliens, they speak on broken language etc. *Hillbilly viewer* usually spits on details.

Another example :

I found the movie suffered big time, for me, as a geek, after our heroes launched into space. The scenes at the Mir Space Station were unnecessary, and the script made the Russian Cosmonaut look like a sitcom character, a complete buffoon who fixes everything by hammering on it. I was offended by that character, not amused. I have a lot respect for the builders and cosmonauts of the Mir Space Station, and I think they should not have been depicted as idiots.

Source

As far as I know cosmonaut Andropov was played by a foreign actor (with a definitely jewish face).
By your own quote, Serbian actors saw "Behind Enemy Lines" as an anti-Serbian movie.

You are an investor in the movie. Are you going to take your investment and flush it down the toilet because you can't find authentic Serbians willing to act in your action movie, or are you going to find people from the same region that can pull off a convincing enough acting job in the areas of the world where the movie will be marketed (i.e. NOT Serbia)?

Why don't you address my other points instead of cherry picking from another very big budget blockbuster production that has never claimed to use native actors from Russia.

I am not sure where you are going with this as, again, you use an example that is not Asian when you originally said Asians are cast for typical illiterate rednecks. I am hoping you can back this statement up.