(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-21-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
That is true, all good points.
Maybe I'm just too critical since all my friends said it'll be such a mind bender.
I was expecting to see a modern David Lynch film with special effects but that wasn't the case.

True Inception has a lot of points to be questioned, but Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive have tons as well.

Seeing Lost High at least 10 times, I still can't exactly explain why the events in the movie occurred in my own words.
For a moment there, I thought you were talking about watching Lost after smoking weed.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
For a moment there, I thought you were talking about watching Lost after smoking weed.
Haha I seemed to have forgotten to write 'Highway'

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-21-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
Haha I seemed to have forgotten to write 'Highway'
Inception is definitely not a David Lynch movie. David Lynch is great, but sometimes seems to be incomprehensible for the sake of it.

I think this movie has an "answer" even if it isn't clear in the first viewing.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-21-2010, 06:10 AM

*Double Post*
(#15 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2010, 08:21 AM

I think it's a fine continuation of the Director's exploration of memory: How do we know what we know? And is what we perceive reality?

I thought it was well directed and nicely edited. Good script, well cast, fine acting, good special effects. I was glad to see so many actors I already like in one film: Cillian Murphy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard and Ken Watanabe were each a draw to me. I'm on and off in liking DiCaprio but I did like him in this.

I don't think it's really correct to compare Lynch's work to Nolan. I could see comparing Nolan to David Fincher and people have made comparisons to Kubrick which I think is more related than Lynch. There is even an intentional Kubrick reference in Inception.

I also liked seeing Marion Cotillard and hearing the music of Edith Piaf in a film other than "Piaf". It's like seeing something in a dream then being confused when you see the things in another waking context. Maybe that's me reading too much into it.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
I think it's a fine continuation of the Director's exploration of memory: How do we know what we know? And is what we perceive reality?

I thought it was well directed and nicely edited. Good script, well cast, fine acting, good special effects. I was glad to see so many actors I already like in one film: Cillian Murphy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard and Ken Watanabe were each a draw to me. I'm on and off in liking DiCaprio but I did like him in this.

I don't think it's really correct to compare Lynch's work to Nolan. I could see comparing Nolan to David Fincher and people have made comparisons to Kubrick which I think is more related than Lynch. There is even an intentional Kubrick reference in Inception.

I also liked seeing Marion Cotillard and hearing the music of Edith Piaf in a film other than "Piaf". It's like seeing something in a dream then being confused when you see the things in another waking context. Maybe that's me reading too much into it.
I agree with you, edelweiss. I don't think comparing Lynch to Nolan is really accurate. Lynch has 20+years of a resume, but I don't think he is as vital as he was around the time of Blue Velvet, which will likely become his swan song. I think Inception will be Christopher Nolan's swan song, and although it is early to say, I think it will be regarded as a better movie than Blue Velvet.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
AllICanSay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2010, 06:20 PM

Haven't seen it yet... Would love to though ^_^

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ayuzu (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2010, 08:50 PM

I was always wondering why this movie got so much hype, lol. Alot of people tell me to go watch it.. from the sounds of it, it seems pretty good.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

I liked it.... - 09-09-2010, 04:54 PM

... it's like Where Dreams May Come meets The Matrix.... You really have to pay attention to it....

I did, and noticed they were riding on the Series 500 Shinkansen. I thought it was done for: the airplane-looking one. At least I heard it was done for on the Nozomi run.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-09-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
... it's like Where Dreams May Come meets The Matrix.... You really have to pay attention to it....

I did, and noticed they were riding on the Series 500 Shinkansen. I thought it was done for: the airplane-looking one. At least I heard it was done for on the Nozomi run.
The Series 500 is now out of service, as I understand. It was too fast and there were small cracks opening in the tunnels between Osaka and Tokyo.