what is better ?
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Joly (Offline)
New to JF

03-19-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
'Seven Samurai' is by far the best that I've seen.

'Last Samurai' may be the worst...
*snorts* Tom Cruise...:P It's an ok movie...the soundtrack is amazing and I liked seeing Ken Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada together, but it was too inaccurate for me to really love. If you've ever seen Dances with Wolves it's the same story, substituting American Indians for Japanese samurai.>>

What's better? Take your pick from everything else mentioned on this thread.^^ Though Zatoichi has been mentioned a lot and I haven't seen any of those yet.

Mono no aware
Murasaki iro no hana
Haru no hana
To fuyu no koyuki
Harahara
(#33 (permalink))
Old
sasuke91 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-20-2008, 05:31 AM

actualy the only other samurai movies ive seen is
Azumi 1,2 they were good but i like the last samurai better
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
03-20-2008, 05:44 AM

Hey, Last Samurai was a lot of fun, don't be dissin'!

Like most period pieces, it was based on events that did actually happen, but wasn't meant to be representative of what really happened. Jeez, movies like that are boring as hell (Gods and Generals, for instance). The Patriot is the same exact thing, really: the main bad guy was based on an actual person, but wasn't that person; the South Virginia militia did exist and was used, but there never was a Col. Martin of the Continental Army-blah-blah. It was still a good movie!

Lol, when I first saw a commercial for Last Samurai, I was with my dad in the movie theatre and we both turned to each other at the end and said, "There's no [fuckin'] way Tom Cruise is the last samurai, puh-leez!" Then later we went and saw it (in theatres) and walked away looking like Fuko from Clannad when she sees a starfish XD . Fortunately, no one near us had a juice box, or that might have been bad o_o; .

Sadly, LS is the only samurai movie I've seen, and I can't seem to find any way to watch the older ones online T_T . Anyone know a place?

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Joly (Offline)
New to JF

03-21-2008, 02:23 AM

Well, if LS is all you've seen then no wonder...you need to get some Kurosawa! As for watching films online, I don't know...I have Netflix, that's where I get my samurai-flick fix. Ack, sorry for the alliteration.^^ You might check out your library...I know mine has a great stock of older foreign films, that includes a lot of good samurai stuff.

Mono no aware
Murasaki iro no hana
Haru no hana
To fuyu no koyuki
Harahara
(#36 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-09-2008, 08:02 PM

I became a fan of Kurosawa the first time I saw one of his movies, and I was so young I was having trouble reading the subtitles! Tom Cruise in LS was the disney version of the story and I found it repugnant..... same as I did Dancing with Wolves. Ironically, LS was more sickening even DW was much closer to home.

Anyway..... Check out Rashomon if you haven't already seen that one. It seems to bring out a bit more soul than some of Kurosawa's other works with casts of thousands.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding them on VHS, if you still have something that will play them.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
KitsuneFr (Offline)
Mori kara kimashita...

Location: Versailles, France (not Hellmouth, Sunnydale, lol!)
Send a message via MSN to KitsuneFr Send a message via Yahoo to KitsuneFr
Cool 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Hi!
You may try "Sword of Doom" or "Kill" from Kihachi Okamoto, both with Tatsuya Nakadai. From the 60s, very good stuff (you may have already seen Nakadai in some Kurosawa's, Gosha's and even in one or two episodes of Zatoichi!). You may try Yôjimbo and its sequel by Kurosawa, and don't forget Mifune had played Yôjimbo twice more in a Zatoichi and in a Inagaki's movie. Concerning Inagaki's movies with Toshirô Mifune, you could see all of them especially "Samurai's banner" (adapted from the Inoue's novel "the sword of the Takeda") and the trilogy about Musashi (written by Eiji Yoshikawa).
All good 60s / 70s stuff!

Nice watching!

Qu'est ce qui pourrait être plus beau que les fleurs de cerisier?
さくらのはなが だいすきですよ!
(Sakura no hana ga daisuki desu yo!)
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
05-13-2008, 11:31 PM

Yojimbo was pretty sweet actually. I enjoyed Zatoichi too. And a movie called Death Trance, starring Tak Sakaguchi.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

05-14-2008, 12:40 AM

Shogun Asassin is a good movie. if you like kill bill you'll like this one.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders