JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2011, 10:10 PM

That's called visual kei I think.

Arashi and Kat-Tun are more traditional boy bands.
(#82 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
06-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aad View Post
I don't really like japanese boybands. I mean they have this weird hair and they wear make-up. It's like a group of crossdressers
Then...... what the hell was "twisted sister"? They wore makeup and had the girly hair as well.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

06-16-2011, 08:41 PM

J-pop isn't as "huge" as how K-pop may be becoming, because it isn't as versatile. At least, that's my opinion. From what I've seen and heard, Korean pop culture emulates Western pop culture in a way unlike that in Japan.

Japan has long been known for implementing Western aspects into their own culture while also maintaining some form of traditional conservatism in them. J-Rock is unique, in my opinion, not solely because it's Japanese but because of the way the Japanese have turned it into a distinguishable sub-genre. J-Rockers can be told apart from other countries' rockers.

K-pop has yet to develop this kind of unique quality to much of its music. In fact, I consider it to be more Western-esque than J-pop.

Korean Pop's recent widespread popularity can be attributed to this fact: It seems generally more Western-styled. Western culture is of its own kind, but it's a product of a melting pot society. The Western world can be defined by a mentality created by certain universal values and perspectives, notably (officially) excluding qualities that discriminate against ethnicity, nationality, and religion. When it comes to music, this can translate into a more free form of expression; one that isn't as obligated to preserve an original tradition or identity as in countries like Japan.

Simply put... Japan can benefit from safeguarding its own identity and continuing to earn recognition for being an individual nation, while Korea can benefit from somewhat integrating more into western culture and from the subsequent recognition earned thereof.

If we really want to compare the two to conclude which is better, we could determine when K-pop and J-pop "started" and take note of the rate of rise in popularity, the extent of its influence in correlation to its rate of popularity, its increase and decline of sales numbers, the amount of publicity each has received in which duration, the general impression of non-related audiences, etc., etc., etc. Calculate them with each factor taken into consideration.
Good luck with that.

Statistics are fine, but I can assure you, logic formed through common sense is not something you should dismiss as invalid. I could find a chart for each nation reinforcing the notion that one is better than the other.

No, K-pop is not bigger than J-pop; J-pop seems to be older and, therefore, has a more stable position in the world.

Yes, at the rate that it's growing, K-pop could possibly surpass J-pop in some aspects.

Whichever is better depends on your taste and level of education (believe it or not).

People on these forums can be so biased. It's disturbing.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 06-17-2011 at 02:12 AM.
(#84 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2011, 12:17 AM

I'm watching a documentary about Seoul right now. A few moments ago there where a few Japanese tourists on screen that said something like: "With Japanese pop it's more about the melody, with Korean pop you can dance better."
I haven't thought about it that way.. But it's true.

But anyway, it's really close, but I like Japanese pop more. Because from what I know, Japanese pop has more variety. It also seems more unique, and I like the language more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Whichever is better depends on your taste and level of education (believe it or not).
Wichever is better depends on your level of education?! Do you even believe that yourself? I listen to every possible kind of music, including things like this: Ryoji Ikeda - Data.Microhelix - YouTube And I love every style just as much. And everyone at my school, even everyone at the same class had a completely different musical taste. How would you explain that then?

Last edited by DragonNL : 08-18-2011 at 12:21 AM.
(#85 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post

Statistics are fine, but I can assure you, logic formed through common sense is not something you should dismiss as invalid. I could find a chart for each nation reinforcing the notion that one is better than the other.

No, K-pop is not bigger than J-pop; J-pop seems to be older and, therefore, has a more stable position in the world.

Yes, at the rate that it's growing, K-pop could possibly surpass J-pop in some aspects.

People on these forums can be so biased. It's disturbing.
Kpop-philes can't stand it that Jpop is 8 times bigger. It makes them so mad! lol. Accept the fact, Jpop has strong following worldwide. Total Jpop fans worldwide is bigger than Kpop fans worldwide.

Kpop is exporting Idols like Kara & SNSD. What's western about that? Idol music be it Kpop or Jpop are both low quality cutie-y music. Do you actually think america will embrace KARA? Get real...

Only Kpop-philes think Kpop is better than Jpop. I listen to both and i like both. The only true difference between the music is one is sung in Korean and the other in Japanese. NORMAL people pick songs because they like them, not by the nationality that sings it.

Only an idiot Kpop-phile would say something like:
"Kpop is better than Jpop"

How could every pop song made by one country be better than all the pop songs made by another? Only way is if the judge is a biased delusional Kpop-phile.

(#86 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2011, 11:56 AM

I don't think Kpop's westernised. If that were the case I wouldn't like it. If it is westernised then it's not specifically Americanised,it's everywhere.

Having them act a certain way doesn't make it westernised. I get they like Americans in Asia but I just don't see it.

I don't think Kpop is better than Jpop but occasionally some Japanese stuff is just too bland.
I like Kara,SNSD,SCANDAL,Kamen Rider Girls the best.

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 09-03-2011 at 12:03 PM.
(#87 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-21-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
I don't think Kpop's westernised. If that were the case I wouldn't like it. If it is westernised then it's not specifically Americanised,it's everywhere.

Having them act a certain way doesn't make it westernised. I get they like Americans in Asia but I just don't see it.

I don't think Kpop is better than Jpop but occasionally some Japanese stuff is just too bland.
I like Kara,SNSD,SCANDAL,Kamen Rider Girls the best.
Again, don't say Jpop is______ or Kpop is _____ unless you can back them up with statistical numbers.

Also ,be specific with opinions. To say Jpop in my opinion is bland doesn't get you off the hook. What it shows is your trolling or you don't know much about Jpop yet have the nerve to post anyway. Sure some Jpop will be boring or not to your taste - Not all Jpop is to my taste either. But Jpop is huge with many genre to pick from and all kinds are artist with unique sounds.

to cut to the chase, I'll turn the table:
I think SNSD sound fake, and I thing BigBang is a bunch of dorks. I really do. BUT. I do like older Kpop like S.E.S. and FinKL. Beyond that I don't know other Kpop so I haven't heard 95% of Kpop.

So, should I say:" I think Kpop is fake and dorky."
Is it OK to saying something so harsh about the whole Korean music industry even though I only heard a handful of SNSD and BigBang songs?

(#88 (permalink))
Old
Jorg (Offline)
JF Regular

09-23-2011, 12:45 AM

I think J-pop has better songs. When I listen to K-pop I find a lot of it sticks to cliche chord changes and simple melodies, which is covered up by electronica. AKB48, for example, have some seriously good songs; stuff that you can't hear anywhere else. Plus I really like the AKB48 members; though I agree that I feel like I'm watching some kind of abuse when I see some of their film clips.

I also sort of want J-pop to triumph over K-pop; mostly because Japan is the original. I'm stubborn like that, though. If Korea released a game console I'd buy a nintendo in a gesture of solidarity.

Some K-pop is alright but, in terms of quality, I gotta go with J-pop.
(#89 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post

Only Kpop-philes think Kpop is better than Jpop. I listen to both and i like both. The only true difference between the music is one is sung in Korean and the other in Japanese. NORMAL people pick songs because they like them, not by the nationality that sings it.

Only an idiot Kpop-phile would say something like:
"Kpop is better than Jpop"

How could every pop song made by one country be better than all the pop songs made by another? Only way is if the judge is a biased delusional Kpop-phile.
Well said.

The only way this question can be resolved objectively is via statistics... which is in favour of J-pop. But that doesn't mean K-pop is inferior. It just means it's not as popular.

As I said earlier.. this thread is over.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 09-23-2011 at 04:28 PM.
(#90 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

09-23-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Well said.

The only way this question can be resolved objectively is via statistics... which is in favour of J-pop. But that doesn't mean K-pop is inferior. It just means it's not as popular.

As I said earlier.. this thread is over.
lets get real here...jpop isn't really popular anywhere else but Japan...otaku freaks in western countries does not count as mainstream...

statistics prove that kpop is heads and shoulders more popular in Asia then jpop....

jpop seem only to be popular amongst japanese and westerners who feel they r japanese.....