JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
maxham (Offline)
New to JF

Question Aikido, Jujitsu, & Judo - 07-19-2009, 05:34 PM

Friends, right now, I'm studying Aikido as my martial arts discipline. But I used to heard some info that Aikido, Jujitsu, & Judo have few similar basic characteristics. What are they?

Am I right so far if Judo is the branch of Jujitsu besides Karate? Cuz what I know is, that Aikido is a passive martial-arts, where we avoid & manipulate the opponent's power to fightback (or simply, "dodging"), while Judo & jujitsu are active martial arts, so Judo & Jujitsu competitions are common, while Aikido competitions are very rarely heard.

BTW, FYI, a lot of people in my peer groups "underestimates" Aikido as a "feminine" martial-arts, so lots of them says that Aikido is mainly suitable for females &/or "weak" peoples. Well, I'm very disagree about his point of view in my society...
(#2 (permalink))
Old
vegna (Offline)
New to JF

07-19-2009, 08:32 PM

Judo and Aikido are based of jujutsu. Aikido was originially called daito-ryu jujutsu. So all of them share lots of the same techniques. I am a japanese jujutsu practitioner and when i see a few aikido techniques they seems similar.

Judo is a branch off jujutsu but karate is mainly based of kung fu with a few jujutsu techniques in it, my dojo teaches karate. All branches of jujutsu have almost the same objective, to use leverage as your weapon. You will hear this a lot from Brazilian jujitsu guys, since it was specially made for that, but all of them are almost the same.

I would recommend a place that have daito-ryu jujutsu in their title instead of aikido. I never had taken aikido but it never feel natural watching aikido practitioner using their techniques, as for daito-ryu feels more real.