JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Chococat (Offline)
New to JF

Location: I'm from New York City, and you're not. Well, unless you are.
Send a message via AIM to Chococat Send a message via MSN to Chococat
I HATE BOOK-OFF! (don't worry, I'm going somewhere with this) - 06-23-2009, 11:58 PM

This is why:

I went to Book-Off (the Japanese used-book store) to try to apply for a job (so I could be less broke), but my spoken Japanese was a little shaky. I tried to talk to the lady at the counter, but she wouldn't talk to me, she wouldn't introduce me to the manager, she wouldn't even take my resume.

I think a major part of the reason she snubbed me is because I'm black. She looked kind of scared. She had the "omg, this muscular black guy is going to kill me and rob the place!" face. True story.

But the point is, I think if my spoken Japanese was better, I wouldn't be posting this now. I'd be working. So, if anyone out there would like to practice their Japanese, or even learn english, please help a brother out. Everyone is welcome, no matter what your level. I have a Skype account, "thechocokat", so we can talk on that. If you're in the NYC area, that's even better. We can talk, and go hang out or something. But, no going to Book-Off. ;\ They're weird over there.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-24-2009, 12:15 AM

One of the jobs of a lower level person is to protect upper level people from dealing with things when the answer is obvious. As someone who has had several Japanese bosses, I know this to be true. To work at Book Off you need to not only speak Japanese, but more importantly, read Japanese, fluently. Without that there is no point in going further. She might have been protecting herself by shielding you from her supervisor. Welcome to Japanese business culture.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Chococat (Offline)
New to JF

Location: I'm from New York City, and you're not. Well, unless you are.
Send a message via AIM to Chococat Send a message via MSN to Chococat
Yeah, but... - 06-24-2009, 01:08 AM

I *CAN* read japanese pretty well. I've studied since the beginning with textbooks, not with people, so my written language level is much higher than my spoken. I'd prepared a resume, and the cover letter was even in Japanese. But she wouldn't even let me present it to her. At best, she saw me and assumed that I was an idiot, and didn't know what I was talking about. I mean, the store's ad was in Japanese, in a Japanese daily newspaper! That's where I'd heard about it. I mean, I even had the paper with me when I went there. I dunno... I've had similar experiences with other Japanese people... It's kind of making me want to give up on the whole thing.

2 years of hard work, wasted.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-24-2009, 06:49 AM

Can you read and quickly type in - correctly - Japanese names from book covers and hand written lists? Do you feel that you could confidently put them in order on the shelves as quickly as a Japanese person? Could you write up book selling forms and member applications, handwritten and accurate, for customers?

I definitely can`t say the same for myself, and I read novels in Japanese on a regular basis. You can`t have a dictionary on hand to check the readings of different authors names or book titles.
I would say that is a pretty good reason not to hire someone. The work isn`t all just ringing stuff up at the counter, which I am sure you could do. A high level of language skill is a lot more necessary than you may realize at first glance.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
06-24-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chococat View Post
2 years of hard work, wasted.
O_o 2 years? That doesn't really sound like enough time to learn the entirety of Japanese, especially if it's only been from text books...

I wouldn't throw your frustrations at Book-Off. They are a business and much like people have already said, they need someone who can be extremely efficient in organizing Japanese books/DVDs/etc. and speaking to customers.

Also, don't give up on it if it's something you love ^.^ Japanese is hard, but it's also a lot of fun, so ganbatte and keep working at it.

Good luck!