JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Language Exchange Ads (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/language-exchange-ads/)
-   -   same word different mean in other country (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/language-exchange-ads/32626-same-word-different-mean-other-country.html)

Columbine 07-16-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 819925)
OMG I can't believe I forgot that one. I even have some stashed in my chine cabinet.

Yeah, its been more than a few years since I had to switch between "languages" for that one.

*laughs* Love Xmas crackers; it's just not the season without them. Too bad they aren't like they are in HP though *wistful* that would be even more awesome.

Funny word cracker now that I think about it...can also mean insane (gone crackers) or really good-looking (she's a cracker) or...and my slang is poor...white person? I won't even attempt to exemplify that one! 8/

WingsToDiscovery 07-16-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 820135)
...and my slang is poor...white person? I won't even attempt to exemplify that one! 8/

That's a really big one in American slang.

talycap 07-18-2010 02:07 AM

i know i haven't put this yet but still ehehe

in japan the word "kawaii" means "cute"

but in the philippines the word "kawaii" means"wave you hi=and to say HI"

sari11111 07-20-2010 02:57 PM

I have some more, Hebrew-English.

the word 'היא'(hi) in heberw mean 'she' and sound like the english word 'he'.

the word 'הוא'(hoo) in heberw mean 'he' and sound like the english word 'who'.

the word 'מי'(mi) in heberw mean 'who' and sound like the english word 'me'.

manganimefan227 07-20-2010 04:06 PM

In Japanese nani means What but in English it can be a house helper or what children call their grandma.

AllICanSay 07-23-2010 08:55 PM

'Poep' is a Dutch word which in the Netherlands means 'Sh!t' or feces
In Belgium it means 'but'. The body part you sit on.

I always have to think twice when Belgium people say "Sit on your 'poep', not on your knees' to small children :p

'Geil' in German means fun/cool/nice.
In Dutch it means horny.

the abbreviation lol (laughing out loud) is an actual Dutch word which means 'having fun' or 'joking around'. So it basically means almost the same :P

The English word 'wheat' (what bread is made of) has almost the same pronunciation as the Dutch word 'wiet' which is Cannabis/Marihuana

DonKon 08-08-2010 06:40 AM

Kiss in Arabic means ..vigina

evanny 08-08-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hidetsugu (Post 819645)
Well, in Argentina "concha" is a vulgar way to call the vagina, but in Spain "concha" means shell. Well, in Argentina means shell too due to in both countries is spoken spanish, just there are some different words.

for us konča (concha) is slang for a candy..so i guess its not that big of a difference :rolleyes:

russian suka (cyka) in latvian means brush..like hair brush = matu(hair) suka..
in russian suka means bitch/whore.
as for japanese baka we have a childrens dissese called bakas (plural)
as for wheat - in latvian you pronounce it very closly as to our "to twist or to wind/strand."

lol..and also canabis sounds very close to our knābis (beak, pecker)

talycap 08-22-2010 02:58 AM

wah it's been awhile since i post thank you so much for posting eheheh

the word "kame" in japan means "god"

here mean "us"

xtixmax 11-04-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talycap (Post 818415)
ok i'm from the philippine there are words that has same spwlling but different meaning like for example

in japan the word "baka" means "idiot" or "fool" right?

but in the philippine the word "baka" means "cow"

why don't you share some word that has same spwlling but different meaning hope every one has a great time post here n__n :) :) :) :)

well in spanish baka is cow

baka = vaca = cow XDDDDDDDDD