JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogma (Offline)
New to JF

need help for a japanese tattoo, I offer spanish help or design services :D - 01-17-2011, 10:26 PM

hi , I'm looking for someone who can help me with a translation of a phrase in english to japanese. This is for a tattoo I'll design, so it's very important to me. I'm offering in exchange my knowledge in spanish and/or graphic design services

the phrase I have in mind is "I steal a kiss from your sleeping shadow moves" (In the arms of sleep, the Smashing Pumpkins)
I know translations of lyrics or poems can be difficult, so we could talk about the best way to communicate the idea in japanese.

any help will be appreciated!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ashida (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2011, 11:56 PM

"I steal a kiss from your sleeping shadow moves"

I am not familiar with lyrics. Can you describe the meaning in more detail as to what you are looking for?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogma (Offline)
New to JF

01-18-2011, 06:17 AM

hi Ashida, how are you?
well, the phrase (for me) refers to a person who love so much his couple that he even "steals kisses" from the "traces" of her presence. I imagine the woman of my dreams leaving some sort of these "traces" or "shadows" behind while she passes by, and I could metaphorically feel these residual presence or maybe steal a kiss from it
In the original lyric, after the phrase I want to translate it says "...cause I'll always miss her wherever she goes..." so I think this is why he even want to feel her all the time even when she is oblivious. Maybe is too corny haha but I love that song and it means to me so much because of my girlfriend, it's kinda our song I guess
So, I'm looking for a translation that capture the core of the phrase, I know it can't be the exact same thing but I wish it would have a similar poetic meaning, with some sort of romantic metaphor
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ashida (Offline)
New to JF

01-25-2011, 02:28 AM

Hi dogma..

Sorry for late reply. I get what you are saying now and do not think it is corny at all. That kind of love is rare these days.

I think what you are trying to translate will be difficult but not impossible.

For 'ill always miss her whenever she goes' you could use:

例え君がいない時でも会いたい
(tatoe kimi ga inaitoki demo aitai)

I'm not sure about the other part you are looking to translate about stealing kisses. Perhaps you can get someone else on here to help you with it.

Also, don't just go by any translation, especially if it's for a tattoo. I would recommend doing your own research and take your time.

Hope this helps!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-25-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashida View Post
例え君がいない時でも会いたい
(tatoe kimi ga inaitoki demo aitai)
LOL What a sissy phrase for tattoo!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ashida (Offline)
New to JF

01-25-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
LOL What a sissy phrase for tattoo!
Why don't you be more constructive and offer your own suggestion instead of just wasting space?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-26-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Why don't you be more constructive and offer your own suggestion instead of just wasting space?
Masaegu rarely does translations for tattoos. He was nice enough to say that would look silly as a tattoo.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ashida (Offline)
New to JF

01-26-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Masaegu rarely does translations for tattoos. He was nice enough to say that would look silly as a tattoo.
It doesn't matter if Masaegu rarely does translations for tattoos. The suggestion was merely asking him to help the OP instead of making insulting comments. I wouldn't call any of masaegu's post nice.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-26-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Masaegu rarely does translations for tattoos. The suggestion was merely asking him to help the OP instead of making insulting comments. I wouldn't call any of masaegu's post nice.
Then you haven't looked at the Japanese Help section.