(#21 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
02-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
most teachers in my school seem to like to use American English and I lost a lot of marks in my essay due to the fact that I use an s instead of z.
I've had it happen to me before but the other way around. For some reason I'm more used to American spelling and I used to get points taken off on my exams. Now this was unfair. Every word they marked as 'wrongly spelled' was in the dictionary but still everytime I complained about it they were like "You know the British spelling for those words, therefore you shouldn't have any problems getting back used to it". Argh, bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Since the original poster requested British English I don't think it's right to question him/her as to why he/she wants to learn British English.
I am not questioning him/her, I just wanna know out of curiosity.

Pd- And Coke is way, way, waaaaay better than Pepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurezi
One moment the fact that your school shoves American spelling down your throat ruins your life and the next you say that it's as trivial as the difference between two soda brands? Just...wow.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#22 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

02-04-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
I am referring to pronunciation; why would anyone have a problem with the spelling of a word? Does it really matter if it's spelt with an s or a z? o.Ô I know the thread creator didn't mean to start a fight over this, I was just curious as to why it had to be British, that's all.
You mustn't undersestimate the differences
It is more than just Z's and S's.
There are differences in Verb tenses, morphology, Prepositions and adverbs just as a start.
British english is like a form of art.

Last edited by noodle : 02-04-2008 at 05:55 PM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

02-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
It is more than just Z's and S's.
There are differences in Verb tenses, morphology, Prepositions and adverbs just as a start.
British english is like a form of art.
A form of art huh. Aight, what are the differences in verbal usage? And prepositions...? o.Ô If you mean the extense use of 'gotten' and stuff like that, it may have its origins in America but it's no longer an exclusively American thing. Other than that (variations in the form of some verbs in past tense), I don't know what you're talking about.

(#24 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

02-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
A form of art huh. Aight, what are the differences in verbal usage? And prepositions...? o.Ô If you mean the extense use of 'gotten' and stuff like that, it may have its origins in America but it's no longer an exclusively American thing. Other than that (variations in the form of some verbs in past tense), I don't know what you're talking about.
I will explain it to you another day.
Because today is rhyming day.
I couldn't possibly make you understand
as it would sound like i'm in a cheesy rap band!
(#25 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
02-05-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to know why the person who made this thread wanted it to be British, and how does American come from a bad speaking habit? It's an accent, not a habit.

Over here, British English is held in a slightly higher regard because it is where the language originally spread from. Nothing more than that really... American English is taught in schools and there is a (totally incorrect) stigma attached that it is slightly inferior
(#26 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-06-2008, 01:27 PM

ChaChava, that is interesting you say that because at the University i studied at i didn't find that. i found many were learning american english spelling. one student had the biggest fake american accent, it was so funny. but she was such an america lover that she didn't want to talk with non-americans. >< taking things too far.

I'm sure some americans are going to not like my comment but personally i dislike written American English. Why did americans need to change things for themselves? why couldn't you just keep using British English spelling. the rest of Britain's past colonies have managed to do so. sure all have local slang, local accents etc but why change the spelling of standard words??

I work with a lot of ESL learners and the asian students in particular are taught American English. It us upsetting for me to see them using spellings such a mom, color etc as i believe in preserving English as close to how it is written in the mother land of the language. I do think it is confusing for those learning english that there are two ways of spelling so many words. you will see some students mixing the spellings together, sometimes using colour, sometimes color etc..

Now mind you it is not just a battle of English out there... you can look to Japan and see Kansai people not being too happy at all about the offically spoken Japanese originating from Kantou region. Many Kansai people i met while living there were angry about this and wanted their dialect as the standard. As it was the region of Japan's capital for most of it's history they told me feel a little robbed. I have to say i prefer the dialects of Kansai much more than those of Kantou.

I have nothing against the american accent except for the way you say can't, because that pronunciation is taught to the students i work with in their home countries and it sounds far too similar to can. we pronounce it similar to carn't so the sound is stronger and easier to distinguish in those ESL speakers. however in native speakers of American English i haven't noticed it being as hard to distinguish but i think learners have difficulty pronouncing it your way so it turns out similar to can.

Anyway we all have a preference to what form of a language we like. i met many japanese that liked british accent, australian accent american accent etc.. all have their merits and we all are entitled to like one more than the other. i personally dislike the standard Japanese and i use it as little as possible, i stick with a general Kansai dialect (mostly osaka-ben).

btw for the record both persi and coke suck... soft drinks are awful haha
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

02-06-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava
Over here, British English is held in a slightly higher regard because it is where the language originally spread from.
lol So speaking in a strong British accent makes you sound more intelligent? Ok, now I know what I'll be doign in summer x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi
I do think it is confusing for those learning english that there are two ways of spelling so many words. you will see some students mixing the spellings together, sometimes using colour, sometimes color etc..
It's not confusing at all. Do you think anyone would actually see the word 'color' written and not know it means the same as colour? I've never had any kind of problems with that, nor have any of the people I know who've studied English as their second language. Sometimes the difference in words can be a tad bit confusing, like when I was once told to "have a check in the boot of the car", but it wasn't really hard for me to realize that the guy was refering to the trunk. It's only a matter of getting used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi
I have nothing against the american accent except for the way you say can't, because that pronunciation is taught to the students i work with in their home countries and it sounds far too similar to can. we pronounce it similar to carn't so the sound is stronger and easier to distinguish in those ESL speakers. however in native speakers of American English i haven't noticed it being as hard to distinguish but i think learners have difficulty pronouncing it your way so it turns out similar to can.
Well a and æ are two different sounds. The a sound in 'can' is hardly audible [k'n] but this very same sound in 'can't' sounds more like kean(t)

It's really not hard to distinguish after hearing it lots of times ^^

(#28 (permalink))
Old
Georgyone (Offline)
New to JF

Trading japanese for spanish - 02-06-2008, 04:20 PM

I see you have received many offers to learn british english and spanish languages.
I'd like to learn japanese, so if you agree let's start trading as you wish.

Regards
G.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

02-06-2008, 05:04 PM

Suki, I do wonder whether you know how supercilious you are.
Now that I've resigned from the rhyming competition I will explain the inconspicuous yet important differences between American and British English.
As a starting point I will simply point out some differences using examples;

With regards to tenses;

British: I've already seen that film.
American: I've already seen that film OR I already saw that film.

Please note, I already saw that film is considered grammatically wrong if you are using British English.

British: Have you finished your homework yet?
American: Have your finished your homework yet? OR Did you finish your homework yet?

Yet again, the second option is ALSO grammatically wrong when using British English.

Past simple/past participle;

British: Burnt, dreamt, smelt.
American: Burned, dreamed, smelled.

Of course, the British way is sometimes used in American, but this just goes to show that there is no consistency with the rules sometimes when we are talking about American.

Prepositions;

British;
At the weekend.
In a team.
Write to me soon.

American:
On the weekend.
On a team.
Write me soon.

Those are some examples that may seem insignificant, but believe you me, they are not insignificant in British English. I say in British English because I have no idea how draconian American English teachers are. Also, if you are a student of British English, you will notice that “Write me soon”, doesn’t make any sense to say the least.

There is also something I’d like to point out to you, Suki. Just because you don’t find something hard in English, it in no way does it imply that others do not find it hard. I teach English at many levels here in Paris. From personal experience, I can honestly tell you that many students find American far easier to grasp. And unfortunately, many still have difficulties be it concerning grammar or spelling.
As for the accent that you keep bringing up, there is no “correct” accent per se. People in London have a different accent to people in Newcastle for example. People in Malaga, Spain, have a different accent to people in Barcelona. I know this because I also teach and help Spanish students and even I can recognise the differences in accents between the two. So for the last time, accent’s have nothing to do with what most of us are talking about.

Last edited by noodle : 02-07-2008 at 11:23 PM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
02-07-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
ChaChava, that is interesting you say that because at the University i studied at i didn't find that. i found many were learning american english spelling. one student had the biggest fake american accent, it was so funny. but she was such an america lover that she didn't want to talk with non-americans. >< taking things too far.
That is still within the educational system though - most universities have ties with American universities for study-abroad programs (my g/f studied in Philadelphia through such a course)