JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
animelover32 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to animelover32
Teaching/Living in Japan - 03-07-2008, 02:54 AM

Next year I'm going to college and my goal is to become an english teacher in Japan. The only thing is I don't really know where to start for all this. I know I have to learn japanese (I already am), but do I look for a place to live or for a job or what first? Any advice would be greatly appericated.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-07-2008, 02:59 AM

I wish I could help you but I was offered a job in Japan as an English teacher and I turned it down. I've actually turned down a few jobs. The only work I've done in Japan is work as a counselor for high school kids who came to study in Japan from English speaking countries and I've worked as a receptionist in Japan.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-07-2008, 05:03 AM

I'd start here:

The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-07-2008, 06:12 AM

I'm still in the process of looking into this myself, but JET seems to be a good option in terms of pay and support if you don't mind the crazy long application process and possibility of being placed in the middle of nowhere. There are private gigs around but seem to in general pay quite a bit less and you'll more than likely have to set up a lot of things like where you'll live on your own - but then you have a choice in where you end up and don't have to spend 9 months stressing over applications.

If you want to teach English as an occupation and not just for a year or two, then studying teaching would be a good idea and will probably give you more options (and pay) in terms of private jobs

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts