JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
zilk (Offline)
New to JF

Anyone who has lived in America and Japan - 03-24-2008, 01:22 AM

How do living in America and living in Japan compare? Where specifically did/do you live?

I'm curious. I've been thinking that living in Japan after college would be fun. Aside from language, what about lifestyle in Japan is different than in America?

Last edited by zilk : 03-24-2008 at 01:26 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Leekun (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Leekun Send a message via MSN to Leekun Send a message via Yahoo to Leekun Send a message via Skype™ to Leekun
03-24-2008, 05:07 AM

I lived in California up until college and now I'm living in Japan. This is a pretty tough question to answer. I suppose it depends on how long you stay in Japan. Here's how it usually goes:

When you first go, you'll notice a lot of similarities and some really interesting differences, then you'll start to notie a lot more differences, and maybe have a tough time with it. If you stay long enough you'll hopefully just get used to and accept the differences.

As far as what kind of differences, there are customs for ways to bathe, eat politely, drink alcohol, and so on. Those are the easy things. The tougher ones, for me anyway, are learning how to speak the Japanese style, as in not up front and direct, as well as understand what they are telling you and if they are being vague or not.

Living in Japan has been an adventure for me, but I still love it here and I'm glad iwth my choice. If you want to do it then go for it.
-Lee
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-24-2008, 05:38 AM

Yeah, that's a very broad question... maybe you could narrow it down a bit more?

I grew up in California, then moved to Japan for 2 years back in the 90's (small city 1 hr south of Osaka on the Kii Peninsula), and now I've been back in California for 10 years. I didn't have a car or computer when I was over there... I didn't really need a car because the trains are frequent and I also rode my bike a lot. I didn't have a computer because they weren't nearly as common 10-12 years ago as they are now. I was a lot more low-tech person back then.

My apartment was a tiny little place, but I got by. I cooked my own dinner most nights. I tried to get out and see something new in Japan each week if possible, whether it was a trip to Kyoto or Nara, or just a bike ride up the Kinokawa River where I crossed every single bridge I came to, back and forth, from 1 side of the river to the other, eventually stopping for a late lunch in some town I'd never been to before turning around and heading back home again. For me, living in Japan fired my adventurous spirit to do things like that, when I never do stuff like that here in America... I was always conscious that my time in Japan was limited (even if it was 2 years), and that I wanted to see and do as much as possible. I just can't seem to muster the same urgency to get out and explore here in the US.

There were more hassles (trouble reading signs, etc), some VERY hot and cold weather, some homesickness and wishing my friends and family could visit, but also, for me, a feeling that I was on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. I went on 6 homestays, went to numerous festivals and parties, slept on Shirahama Beach, hiked in the Japan Alps, stayed up all night barhopping in Osaka, stayed at a Buddhist temple, and so many more things that I never imagined I would ever do. It was a great experience, if you are willing and able to adapt and go with the flow, and not stress too much about things.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Thuglife (Offline)
JF Regular

03-24-2008, 08:48 AM

They are completely different which causes stress for some and excitement for others.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-24-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglife View Post
They are completely different which causes stress for some and excitement for others.
And both in many others...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-25-2008, 04:45 AM

For me, one of the most interesting things is being a minority. That and I have this tendency to stare at foreigners now. "あ~、外人だ、” that is me whenever I see a foreigner wandering on my turf.

But yeah, what are you asking? I can tell you this, I love public transit more than ever. I have never felt unsafe or threatened in Japan. I like being able to take my bicycle to work. Um, finding specific things in stores can be hard such as a sticker remover. Sometimes I think cleaning supplies are not as strong. I wish my apartment had an air filter and better insulation. It can be hard to find super rich desserts, and I have never had a decent apple pie in this country. I've had better apple pie in Beijing.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
uchimizu (Offline)
New to JF

Japan and the US - 03-26-2008, 09:32 PM

Hi,

there are many differences between Japan and the US. The most striking ones are the following:
- land is very narrow, so expect a small room, narrow roads, no big open spaces, many people;
- there are many more constraints here that you just have to accept than in the US;
- if you are a white heterosexual boy, this will probably be the first time you experience being a minority;
- people are more candid and friendly in the US, while human relationships are more complex in Japan

In addition, if you go to Tokyo or Osaka, and you do not come from New York or Chicago, this may be the first time you experience living in a real metropolis.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

03-26-2008, 10:26 PM

I grew up in Tokyo and now live in San Francisco so my opinion may not reflect the rest of the US.

US
People - friendly and they don't care much about your background
Housing - larger but wastes more energy in general
Food - big and cheap for the volume you get
Weather - varies depending on the location but it is dryer than Japan for sure
Public Transportation - it is somewhat limited
Culture - Multicultural, dynamic, but young

Japan
People - soft and quiet
Housing - small and thin walls but new houses are not bad
Food - smaller but tasty, no tips, great service
Weather - hot and humid Summer and very chill Winter
Public Transportation - extensive, reliable, but undeveloped in the countryside
Culture - Homogeneous, rich in depth, but narrow

I don't feel like I'm a foreigner in SF but I'm sure if I go to the Midwest or the Deep South, I won't feel very comfortable for sure.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-02-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommasi View Post
I don't feel like I'm a foreigner in SF but I'm sure if I go to the Midwest or the Deep South, I won't feel very comfortable for sure.
I can tell you this much, I've always lived in the US, and even I wouldn't head down to teh Deep Southern states. I know it's bad to stereotype, but I just feel uneasy about those who are there that actually are racist or prejudice (I know not all are, though).
(#10 (permalink))
Old
george (Offline)
New to JF

04-06-2008, 03:28 AM

hello, I dont really know what you mean by that. I live in the deep south and it looks pretty good to me.