JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ancafeislove (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to ancafeislove Send a message via Yahoo to ancafeislove
shinto aney one? - 04-07-2008, 02:45 AM

is aney one hear shinto? i am a follower of the faith and am allways looking for more info if aney one wants to add somthing
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-07-2008, 03:01 AM

If you are a follower of the faith, wouldn't it make more sense for you to share information with us, rather than the other way around?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

04-07-2008, 03:02 AM

Is it even possible for a non-Japanese (or Japan-born) person to follow Shinto? There isn't really a 'book' in Shinto that teaches you everything, like in many other religions. Most people in Japan learn Shinto by what their parents and grandparents pass down to them, and by taking place in rituals as a group.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-07-2008, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Is it even possible for a non-Japanese (or Japan-born) person to follow Shinto? There isn't really a 'book' in Shinto that teaches you everything, like in many other religions. Most people in Japan learn Shinto by what their parents and grandparents pass down to them, and by taking place in rituals as a group.
It's more philosophical than strictly religious, so I would think so. I am not an expert, though.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
04-07-2008, 06:53 AM

Shinto or the way of the gods, has no official doctrine and is the only religion native to Japan and does not really exist outside of Japan, Jinja (or a Shinto shrine) exist nearly exclusively in Japan thus making worship of the kami's who reside in them difficult with out being able to visit, there are portable shrines you can by buy but they are a mere extension of the kami with the exception of Inari who can multiply himself but good luck getting one, they don't like to give them to gaijin >.<. Most Japanese practice Shinto rituals i.e purification or cary o-mamori but they do not consider themselves "religious" or even Shinto for that matter. Hope this helped!

P.S. it's any one not aney once is a typo twice makes me want to point it out
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ancafeislove (Offline)
New to JF

04-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
i knew people would answer back with somthin like this and the answer is yes you can be a follower even if you do not live in japan. has aney one hear hurd of tusbaki shrine of america? it is a shinto shrine in the usa located in washington. and there are maney groups that follow shinto around canada. altho it is a japanese fath there are translated texts of all the storys of shinto and the prayers. i have had the experence of undergoing misogi and i have a in house shrine. for the persion that said thay would be hard to get it was veary easy. as for the non japanese thing that is veary untrue because you can still be a shinto prest and not be japanese,you just have to undergo study. hope this filled in some info for some of you.

Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America
(#7 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

04-07-2008, 05:06 PM

From what I understand you are either Shinto or not. A shrine is only a focal point for the display of Shinto so that you can share your profound understanding with other like minded people.
Otherwise you can find your understanding of the Shinto way by observing and participating in nature in its many shapes and forms.

Let me state that Shito is not a religon as such, but a direction that you choose too take in life. This direction will lead you to understand the mechanics of life and so should be considered as a science. The science of balance in life could be described as buddhism but is more profound in Shinto.

The many questions that a human will ask are addressed in the Shinto doctrine, although to call it a doctorine is false, most if not all human issues have a common sense explanation, but it will be encrypted in a fable of some sort contained within the realm of Shinto.

M. Desu ka!

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:

yes non-japanese can follow Shinto

Australian Lady became a Shinto Priestess

Shinto keeps Aussie grounded : Columns : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)

crunchyroll.com
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

04-25-2008, 10:47 AM

I guess you can be a follower of Shinto regardless of where you come from.

All you need to do is to warship the Royal Family and prepare for the next war...

Personally, Japanese don't even think of as a religion or something that people need to be faithful for.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ancafeislove (Offline)
New to JF

04-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommasi View Post
I guess you can be a follower of Shinto regardless of where you come from.

All you need to do is to warship the Royal Family and prepare for the next war...

Personally, Japanese don't even think of as a religion or something that people need to be faithful for.
this is VEARY much wrong! shinto is not about worshiping the royal family or about war at all! it is about worshiping the kami! please dont make blind statements.