JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
skyismine (Offline)
New to JF

Moving to Sapporo...but first... - 04-09-2008, 10:11 AM

Hi! I am moving to Sapporo in September for a year as part of a course at university but before we go we have to complete some research. Would anybody be interested in answering any of the following questions for me? I would really appreciate any responses to any of the questions! You can pm me or type them here if you are interested in helping out!

Thanks!

Questions

1. Which Japanese city do you live in/come from? Where is this in Japan?
2. What do you think of the weather in your city?
3. Are there a lot of foreigners? What is the attitude towards foreigners in your city?
4. I have an interest in Japanese culture and history. Are there any places of interest you would recommend in your city?
5. What is going to the cinema like in Japan? Are all the films in Japanese?
6. Are there any local clubs or associations where a foreigner could meet people?
7. What is local business like in the area? Are there a lot of shops?
8. Are there any cultural events or celebrations in your city?
9. What sports are popular in your city?
10. What is it about your city that makes it special?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
04-09-2008, 01:09 PM

I live in Yokohama, work in Tokyo

2. What do you think of the weather in your city?
Great in Autumn/Winter/Spring, nasty in the summer

3. Are there a lot of foreigners? What is the attitude towards foreigners in your city?
Yes, no attitude whatsoever really - people just accept them as part of life (well, apart from the black vans...outside shinjuku station today they were ranting about how china should be removed from the planet hahaha!)

4. I have an interest in Japanese culture and history. Are there any places of interest you would recommend in your city?
Sengaku-ji in Shinagawa has a cool story behind it (the 47 ronin)

5. What is going to the cinema like in Japan? Are all the films in Japanese?
All the Japanese films are in Japanese, hollywood movies are in English with subtitles

6. Are there any local clubs or associations where a foreigner could meet people?
No idea? Maybe a friendship party thing - loads advertised in metropolis magazine

7. What is local business like in the area? Are there a lot of shops?
You dont need me to answer that haha

8. Are there any cultural events or celebrations in your city?
probably but i havent really noticed anything

9. What sports are popular in your city?
Baseball... pretty much it really (I hate baseball )

10. What is it about your city that makes it special?
not a lot to be honest... it is just like London with lots of Japanese people haha - Shinjuku has a funky smell though if that is any help?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
skyismine (Offline)
New to JF

04-09-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks i especially like the bit about the funky smell :P
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kpauner (Offline)
New to JF

04-09-2008, 07:35 PM

What i am interested to know is; How does "funky" smell like?
hmm...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
04-09-2008, 11:39 PM

Kuzuha, it is in the Kinki Region Osaka Prefecture but about 35 minutes away by train
2. What do you think of the weather in your city? hmm in the spring its very nice, humid in the summer and cold in the winter though the snow rarely sticks to the ground.
3. Are there a lot of foreigners? What is the attitude towards foreigners in your city? There are a few gaijin not many tourists venture out to this area but there is a university that hosts about 400 foreigners about 20 minutes away, the city is nice to foreigners as are most cities in japan, as long as you don't try to be Japanese.
4. I have an interest in Japanese culture and history. Are there any places of interest you would recommend in your city? Hmm in Kuzuha.. no not really but in Kyoto there are many things a few I would recommend are fushimi inari, kiyomizu-dera and kinkakuji (don't bother with ginkakuji though)
5. What is going to the cinema like in Japan? Are all the films in Japanese? hehe expensive unless you go on 1 coin day (500 yen) lots of American films with subtitles in Japanese and the occasional animated film
6. Are there any local clubs or associations where a foreigner could meet people? there is a rotary and lions club as well as a city run culture exchange even.
7. What is local business like in the area? Are there a lot of shops? Osaka has a lot of shops, there is a big amusement park the next train stop over and Kuzuha mall is pretty popular with lots of clothing and other stores.
8. Are there any cultural events or celebrations in your city? There is a Hanami festival, new years and obon festival that are "official" events of Kuzuha but there are many other smaller celebrations
9. What sports are popular in your city? Baseball Go Hanshin Tigers!... Hokkidos team are the Hams lol
10. What is it about your city that makes it special? its not super busy the view is nice and it is not far from Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe and Nara
I love filling these things out hehe
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
04-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauner View Post
What i am interested to know is; How does "funky" smell like?
hmm...
imagine food which has been left outside for a few days, mixed with pollution from all the traffic and you are probably on the right track