JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
yukisnow (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to yukisnow
Getting Started... - 04-10-2008, 07:53 PM

I've been wanting to go to Japan for forever, and i have looked up schools and stuff to got to there and i found one, and i have two jobs to make the money that i need to get there and stuff, since my parent(yes singular form,) won't support me. But, even though i've read up on things in Japan, i'm still confused as to what to expect and stuff like that, i'm planning on going there in gr 12 (i'm in gr 10 right now), but i'm not to sure what to expect, if anyone could help me that would be awsome, i'm looking at going to Yokohama International btw, so anyone who is from or has visited that area, help would be greatly appreciated.

"Yesterday, Kyo-kun picked up Tohru-kun! Kyo-kun is a sex-feind!" Shigure (Fruits Basket)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
04-10-2008, 08:12 PM

HEY! YOU! Keep Chasing your dream damnit. I wish I had realized the oportunity/chances I had to go visit the japanese culture... But I digress :x

I say, you save every little dollar you can., and then during your spring break next year, you head your little tushy to Nihon. Read/Speak/Live the japanese culture until that day. Always look at it like this:

If I kept studying the japanese language everyday a year ago until now, How much would I have gained... I'm sure it would be alot, so from now on keep studying and keep your dream of one day visiting japan.

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#3 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
04-10-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukisnow View Post
but i'm not to sure what to expect, if anyone could help me that would be awsome, i'm looking at going to Yokohama International btw, so anyone who is from or has visited that area, help would be greatly appreciated.
well, what exactly do you want information on? I'm not going to spend the next few months writing a comprehensive guide about every tiny detail of Japan/Yokohama so please don't use ask so vaguely as it's unlikely you will get much help

In a nutshell, imagine any big city in the world, then add lots of Japanese people and you have Tokyo/Yokohama
(#4 (permalink))
Old
yukisnow (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to yukisnow
04-11-2008, 07:31 PM

what i want to know is what it's like, what should i expect, and how should i prep myself? just little basics on living there. like should i go there and "vacation" for a week too see whats its like? i just need the tiny but important details kinda like the top five 'how to survive in Japan/yokohama facts" lol....i hope that makes it better

"Yesterday, Kyo-kun picked up Tohru-kun! Kyo-kun is a sex-feind!" Shigure (Fruits Basket)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ff7rockerman (Offline)
JF Regular

04-11-2008, 08:05 PM

I actuly have same plans as you wish I had more of a idea of what I should do but I'm probabaly gonna get a job. During summer to make money
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-12-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukisnow View Post
what i want to know is what it's like, what should i expect, and how should i prep myself? just little basics on living there. like should i go there and "vacation" for a week too see whats its like? i just need the tiny but important details kinda like the top five 'how to survive in Japan/yokohama facts" lol....i hope that makes it better
what to expect:
- humid summers, dry winters
- lots of neon lights
- lots of Japanese people
- crowded places everywhere you go

how to prepare:
- learn Japanese

Living in Japan is not really that different from living anywhere else due to it being kinda westernised these days - tokyo is not so different from london for example
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-13-2008, 04:53 AM

i heard that tokyo is expensive

crunchyroll.com
(#8 (permalink))
Old
BabyAnimeBoy (Offline)
New to JF

04-14-2008, 02:34 AM

it is exspensive
(#9 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintoCanadianmale View Post
i heard that tokyo is expensive
yeah, it is pretty much the same kinda costs as living in London (England)...

rent is really high, but other things (especially food) are relatively cheap
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-14-2008, 02:46 PM

That's why you aim for the jobs the come with a place to live, if you can manage to luck out for one.