JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#501 (permalink))
Old
Ted (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2009, 02:07 PM

Preparing oneself via college training and learning the language and culture helps to get a job and enjoy the work environment. Working over here is somewhat a typical social interaction and establishing the necessary work network for effective participation and job satisfaction are basic elements for foreigners as well as Japanese to adapt to. The chemistry at work may be unnecessarily too important in Japanese companies and if you are "outsider" in your company then small issues may turn into daily headaches. Once that is set....most experts seem to enjoy working in Japan for a multitude of reasons.
(#502 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-22-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
Hello,

For 3 years I will hopefully get my bachelors degree in geology engineering(or 5 if I decide to go for masters..), so my question is, if I learn japanese in the meantime, what are my chances of landing a job as fresh graduate(especially if I'm willing to work in smaller cities, where rythm is bit slower)?
What can I do to improve my marketability as a fresh grad?
It depends on the field you want to enter. I don't know much about geology engineering, but from my research, the easiest thing to do is to land a teaching job, second will be in IT (Though myself haven't got much luck so far).
(#503 (permalink))
Old
HarunoRinji (Offline)
New to JF

Hi - 06-26-2009, 09:49 PM

I'd really like to move to Japan too as I am only 17 years old.I live in Canada, and I don't know how it works here by means of college cause here, you have Elementary School, High School, Cegep (3 years before university) an then University.Where should I stop if I want to make it possible working in Japan such as in an hotel , ryokan etc ? Could someone tell me please ?

Thank you

...As the sakura blossoms, my heart is filling up with sorrow...
(#504 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-26-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarunoRinji View Post
I'd really like to move to Japan too as I am only 17 years old.I live in Canada, and I don't know how it works here by means of college cause here, you have Elementary School, High School, Cegep (3 years before university) an then University.Where should I stop if I want to make it possible working in Japan such as in an hotel , ryokan etc ? Could someone tell me please ?

Thank you
University. For the most part, college/university helps one to get a Working Visa and you can't work in Japan without one. You'd also need to have a high proficiency level in Japanese language to even consider working in such places.
(#505 (permalink))
Old
HarunoRinji (Offline)
New to JF

Me again - 06-27-2009, 02:10 AM

Thank you very much!
Im good in the basics of japanese, like basic sentences ; Namae wa nan desu ka.... etc lol
But is anyone here who speaka nd write japanese perfectly and fluently who could help me learn that language cause i really wanna make this dream possible. Thank you ssooooo much xxxxxxxx

(#506 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-27-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much!
Im good in the basics of japanese, like basic sentences ; Namae wa nan desu ka.... etc lol
But is anyone here who speaka nd write japanese perfectly and fluently who could help me learn that language cause i really wanna make this dream possible. Thank you ssooooo much xxxxxxxx
You could just take it in college. It'd probably be easier.
(#507 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-27-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much!
You can go straight to University from High School. I am from Toronto myself, and thats what I did.... you will need a real University Degree.... not just any Gen Ed degree, you need to specialize in something

Why do you want to move to Japan? Do remember that residency is only temporary even if you do find a sponsor
(#508 (permalink))
Old
HarunoRinji (Offline)
New to JF

Responding - 06-27-2009, 02:37 AM

In Quebec province its not the same thing as it is in Ontario, you do have to go through cegep before reaching University.I wanna move to Japan because it's the most beautiful and lively counrty that i've ever seen and because I do not feel like i am home where i am.Its complicated........but i feel like i belong there....i know its weird.And why would it be temporary, if i stay long enough and get my citizenship why couldnt i stay there for the rest of my life?Cause many people do so...
For example, as you've probably noticed, there are tons of immigrant where we live, so i don't know why it couldnt be possible

(#509 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
And why would it be temporary, if i stay long enough and get my citizenship why couldnt i stay there for the rest of my life?Cause many people do so...
For example, as you've probably noticed, there are tons of immigrant where we live, so i don't know why it couldnt be possible
It's pretty simple. You need a visa to work in Japan. In order to get that visa, you need a university degree.

My suggestion is as follows. Finish high school, finish CEGEP and graduate from university in a field which you want to do (as opposed to a useless degree for the sake of obtaining a degree).

Once you've done that, apply for a working holiday visa and travel to Japan. Spend some time exploring the country and check out your job options. If things don't work out, you'll always be able to return to Canada and work in a field which you enjoy.
(#510 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Start learning Japanese as soon as possible. I like your plan.
I wonder how useful a degree in Japanese is..

You don't need to know much Japanese to teach English and if you're going for a job that requires Japanese, wouldn't the natives be first preference as they'll be better at Japanese?

I feel you'd need to combine it with something else, or be very, very conversant with both English and Japanese (translator/interpreter level)