LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

05-10-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
I would have to disagree with you there... Unless you carry a Japanese passport (or spousal visa), even McDonalds in Japan will turn you away

And even then, if you want anything better than working at McDonalds, you need a degree
you can marry someone that is living there and that doesnt require you to have a college degree.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#72 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

05-10-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Just out of curiousity, if you are 16, why have you already decided you are not going to college? If you want to be an international traveller/worker, things are going to be a LOT easier with a degree.

Orodreth, and I am not trying to discourage people to try to live in Japan, I am trying to encourage to start that quest with a degree in hand.

It's a lot easier to build a house with a hammer and nails than just with your bare hands.
i am going to college to be a welder. i never said anything about not going to college.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#73 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-10-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 View Post
i am going to college to be a welder. i never said anything about not going to college.
Sorry Kenpachi. When you said "You don't need a degree to live in Japan" I read too much into it.

And yes, if you marry a Japanese person, you can get a spousal visa, and your visa status will be covered.

Then we get into the issue of trying to get married without having a college degree...
(#74 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

05-10-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorotsuki View Post
Odonata what exactly do you do with computers. I am not sure what area I want to work in yet but I know I want to work with computers.
The games programming I was talking about was a very long time ago. You would get asked to code anything from the hi-score table to CPU controlled character. I ended up programming sound fx quite allot.

Now I deal with setting up and maintaining computer networks. Not so much the computers anymore but all of the equipment between like switches and routers.

hth.

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#75 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-11-2008, 02:34 AM

I wish I could add a lot to this, but MMM pretty much said it all, and others have added further detail.

However, I will add that I have a genuine interest in teaching. That is my job. So I hear all this whining about ALT work or English teaching in general... except, I'd be doing this in the states. So for me, a degree was already part of my plan. And although I made a half-hearted attempt at JET (as previously mentioned), I have eventually ended up in Japan because of economic decisions. Frankly, I can just make money faster here. Not necessarily more money overall, just faster money. In addition, I am relatively young, and it seems to me that when you are young you should be able to have an opportunity to travel and see the world. At this point I don't plan to leave Japan any time soon, or possibly ever, but who knows?

As a teacher, and one who is a teacher, and not a dancing monkey who got here by any means necessary, but someone engaged in teaching as a career, I find the "Oh, I won't 'lower' myself to that level" absolutely insulting. If you can't even bother working to get a degree, than you have no idea what it's like to take the courses and the exams to be a qualified teacher, and I don't want you here, because you're bound to give me and those like me, a bad name.

When it comes to Japan, "put up or shut up" is the best advice I can give.
(#76 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-11-2008, 02:47 AM

After I finish getting my Bachelor's early next year, I'm going to put my teaching certification and going for my MA on hold and try working as an ALT. At least I already have experience with working as an Assistant Teacher now and I enjoy it for the most part. The downside is that you can't really choose which level students you'd like to work with, but I still enjoy it, and working as an ALT, just seems like such a nice opportunity to learn how to work with different types of children with various backgrounds and cultures since jobs like that are usually overseas. I also find that it'd be nice to have the opportunity to embrace a whole 'nother culture. It has to be incredibly intriguing and exhilarating as well as educational! ^_^

I really do hope that I can get into JET for 2009. I also hope that I can get placed in the northern region...like say Hokkaido.
(#77 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-11-2008, 03:14 AM

Well I'm very ecstatic to say that I just got notified today that I've been accepted into JET as a CIR (not an ALT ). I don't know where I'll be placed yet, but at the moment I really don't care. Becoming a CIR has been my plan ever since I started university 3 and a half years ago. I'll be graduating this June, and a few months after that I'll be off to Japan once again .

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#78 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-11-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Well I'm very ecstatic to say that I just got notified today that I've been accepted into JET as a CIR (not an ALT ). I don't know where I'll be placed yet, but at the moment I really don't care. Becoming a CIR has been my plan ever since I started university 3 and a half years ago. I'll be graduating this June, and a few months after that I'll be off to Japan once again .
Sweet news, Hatredcopter! I look forward to hearing more about where you'll be and how it goes.
(#79 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-11-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Congratulations. ^_^ I wish you the best of luck. It's great that you managed to achieve your goal.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-11-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 View Post
you can marry someone that is living there and that doesnt require you to have a college degree.
If you find a Japanese man who will let his daughter marry you without a degree (because you have zero career potential), I will happily pay for your wedding

Also, I did mention the spousal visa so you didn't need to explain getting married as being an option...