JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
Japanese Language Proficiency Test - 08-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone here was planning on taking this test this year. I'm highly considering trying level 3, especially since I'd have now until December to study for it and I am serious about learning and remembering my Japanese grammar rules (I have a new book on the way to help me with this) and Kanji flashcards.

Anyway, how many people here have taken it, and when do you find out your results? What is considered to be a passing score?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2008, 05:56 PM

What are you taking it for?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
What are you taking it for?
For the most part, just for personal reasons and as a challenge to myself. I am pretty serious about learning Japanese as best as I can, and what better way to test myself than with the JLPT. I also feel that this would look good on my JET application, even though I do know that knowing the language isn't a necessity to apply.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Crea (Offline)
JF Regular

08-14-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone here was planning on taking this test this year. I'm highly considering trying level 3, especially since I'd have now until December to study for it and I am serious about learning and remembering my Japanese grammar rules (I have a new book on the way to help me with this) and Kanji flashcards.
I'm planning to sit for level 2 this year.
I was originally aiming for level 1, but I just took a mock level 2 test, and while I got a passing grade, it was a lot harder that I had expected, so I probably wouldn't be ready for level 1 at this point.

Seeing as though the application deadline for this year's test is 9/18 (may differ for overseas tests), seems like I'll have to stick with level 2? Or does anyone know if I can change my preferred level after applying? Just asking because I'd really like to pass JLPT1 before leaving Japan in July 2009.

Quote:
when do you find out your results? What is considered to be a passing score?
The passing scores are 60% for levels 2-4 and 70% for level 1.

As for results, according to Wikipedia via the official JLPT site:
"Exams take several months to process, hence results are announced the following February for examinees in Japan, and March for overseas candidates. Test results are given to the examinee through the testing organization or centre to which they applied."

Does the new book you ordered include past test papers or mock tests? Think it'd really help to try sitting through one before the real thing.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Nah, I don't think so. It's pretty much a book for Japanese Language Proficiency Test: Grammar Exercises Level 3. I haven't come across any books yet with the JLPT mock tests off line.

One thing I do know that I need a lot of practice with is the listening portion. The percentage for it is low, but every bit helps.

The other thing I have is Japanese Kanji Flashcards, Volume 1, Third Edition: The Complete Set of Kanji Required for Levels 3 and 4 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. I really do need to improve my Kanji and study it more than what I have.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-14-2008 at 06:58 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Crea (Offline)
JF Regular

08-14-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Nah, I don't think so. It's pretty much a book for Japanese Language Proficiency Test: Grammar Exercises Level 3. I haven't come across any books yet with the JLPT mock tests off line.

One thing I do know that I need a lot of practice with is the listening portion. The percentage for it is low, but every bit helps.

The other thing I have is Japanese Kanji Flashcards, Volume 1, Third Edition: The Complete Set of Kanji Required for Levels 3 and 4 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. I really do need to improve my Kanji and study it more than what I have.
The books I bought included two mock tests with answers and came with cds for the listening portion, so there's an option if you're interested.

If you don't mind online shopping, there are a ton available from Amazon Japan.
Here are the two series I have and recommend: one's issued by the official JLPT committee, and the other is unofficial but includes little test-taking tips.

Again, I'd recommend them, but not a necessity.

And hey, good luck with the kanji! I don't know your exact background, but I've studied Chinese since I was 8, so I got a headstart but still find it difficult with all the different readings. I can't imagine how it'd be for non-Chinese learners, but their determination never fails to amaze me. Best of luck!

(#7 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2008, 01:25 AM

My Japanese teacher is encouraging us to do the level 4 test, but a classmate tried the level 3 last year and just didn't pass, so he said with 2 years of (part time) study under our belts we should be able to pass it easy this round.

No time to go ahead and do it this year though, too much going on around the same time. At this point I'm not really looking to find a job in Japan other than JET, so I don't feel there's a huge point in me doing it just for the sake of achievement when I have enough encouragement from my class.

Good luck for those who are doing it though!

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-16-2008, 10:44 PM

Well, I've been trying to learn this for a long time now, so...I'm just challenging myself for the most part.

Anywho, if I decide to take the test, that'll give me the incentive to study my Kanji more.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-16-2008, 10:50 PM

I am taking a Japanese course at college starting in september, and at the end of the year we do this test. I hope I will able to pass the first test after a year. I'm good at some languages and horrid at others. I was really good at french, but bad at german. I had no interest in german, though, since I have no intention of ever going there whereas I've been to France twice so you pick it up when you are there. So hopefully I'll be more motivated and able to pass this.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
HYDfan (Offline)
Massu is love

09-03-2008, 10:22 PM

I'm taking 4 kyuu this year, just because I want some actual proof when someone asks me if I know any Japanese. I know it will be easy, but I don't want to go overboard and aim for 3 kyuu just because my kanji proficiency isn't that high. I know a lot more in terms of grammar and speaking, but probably the only reason I'm not taking level 3 is because I don't know that many kanji. But I am excited because I am confident that I will do well.