JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tain (Offline)
JF Regular

Non-native English teacher - 10-09-2008, 01:08 AM

I mostly read the topics here, but now I have a question of my own. Hope some people can help me or give some advice.

First, my situation. About three years ago i started doing an Asian Trade Management study in The Netherlands. With this came the opportunity to study a foreign language, in my case this was Japanese. One of the reasons I chose for Japanese was because our family was hostfamily for a Japanese girl when I was little. Since then I've always been fascinated by this country and their culture. So I chose for Japanese, which brought me to Japan for a half year exchange programme and a half year internship. I'm in the middle of my internship right now.

So, I did the exchange programma and I loved being there. Now I realized that studying this way is not the same as living in Japan, so before I wanted to make any future descisions I wanted to wait for my internship. I am working at this internship for about two months now and this makes me want to stay even more. A lot of my foreign friends left after the programme ended, so I kind of had to start all over again, but soon I made some great friends, mostly Japanese. A few weeks ago I also met a girl I am dating right now, so the future looks bright. Except for the fact that I have to go back in about 3 months.

Now I don't mind going back to the Netherlands that much, I have to graduate and I can see my Dutch friends and family again. I just can't stop the thought of not wanting to spend the rest of my life in the Netherlands... Ideally, I would like to come back after graduating in July 2009.

Okay, sorry for the long introduction... Now, I have a few options.
- JET programme (problem is that I want to stay in Kansai area because of friends/girl stuff)
- private school (but it's hard to get in as a non-native)
- another exchange programme

At least, that's what I can think of right now. If you have other ideas, please let me know. My Japanese is not really well, I think I can get JLPT 3, but it will be hard. My current plan is to apply at a private school, save money while improving my Japanese and do a master at a Japanese university after a some years. The only problem is the whole non-native thing. So does anyone know about places where I have a good chance to get in. My English is pretty good, to the point that natives think I am native too but can't really place my accent.

Well, I hope someone can help me with this. I understand it's a long story and pretty chaotic, but there's too much thoughts going through my head to type it down clearly.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-09-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
I mostly read the topics here, but now I have a question of my own. Hope some people can help me or give some advice.

First, my situation. About three years ago i started doing an Asian Trade Management study in The Netherlands. With this came the opportunity to study a foreign language, in my case this was Japanese. One of the reasons I chose for Japanese was because our family was hostfamily for a Japanese girl when I was little. Since then I've always been fascinated by this country and their culture. So I chose for Japanese, which brought me to Japan for a half year exchange programme and a half year internship. I'm in the middle of my internship right now.

So, I did the exchange programma and I loved being there. Now I realized that studying this way is not the same as living in Japan, so before I wanted to make any future descisions I wanted to wait for my internship. I am working at this internship for about two months now and this makes me want to stay even more. A lot of my foreign friends left after the programme ended, so I kind of had to start all over again, but soon I made some great friends, mostly Japanese. A few weeks ago I also met a girl I am dating right now, so the future looks bright. Except for the fact that I have to go back in about 3 months.

Now I don't mind going back to the Netherlands that much, I have to graduate and I can see my Dutch friends and family again. I just can't stop the thought of not wanting to spend the rest of my life in the Netherlands... Ideally, I would like to come back after graduating in July 2009.

Okay, sorry for the long introduction... Now, I have a few options.
- JET programme (problem is that I want to stay in Kansai area because of friends/girl stuff)
- private school (but it's hard to get in as a non-native)
- another exchange programme

At least, that's what I can think of right now. If you have other ideas, please let me know. My Japanese is not really well, I think I can get JLPT 3, but it will be hard. My current plan is to apply at a private school, save money while improving my Japanese and do a master at a Japanese university after a some years. The only problem is the whole non-native thing. So does anyone know about places where I have a good chance to get in. My English is pretty good, to the point that natives think I am native too but can't really place my accent.

Well, I hope someone can help me with this. I understand it's a long story and pretty chaotic, but there's too much thoughts going through my head to type it down clearly.
Your options for teaching are limited, but there are options. I know many teachers who are not "native", but the exception to the rule is that you have to have lived in the country who's language you wish to teach for 12 years. The way around this requirement is just to say "I lived in <your English speaking country here> for 12 years when I was growing up".

I have no idea how strong your accent is, but I can tell by your writing that you are not a native speaker, it shows clearly in your use of grammar. Many schools will require a cover letter and resume, and these will be checked closely for proper spelling, structure, grammar, etc.

Most Japanese begin studying English in junior high school. They may not speak English very well, but they often have a very strong grasp of grammar. Many a native speaking teacher has been embarrassed after one of his students pointed out a mistake that that teacher has made.

Your Japanese level is not relevant when it comes to teaching English. Most schools would prefer that you use no Japanese whatsoever in class. ALTs (assistant language teachers) are sometimes required to know a basic amount of Japanese, but this is only necessary for communicating with the other faculty.

If you do an internet search for "jobs in japan", you'll come across several lists of schools looking for English teachers. Being in Japan is a plus, it's much easier to get a job when applying in person than it is when trying to apply from overseas. Do all you can to make a good impression (good hair cut, no facial hair, navy suit, white shirt, subdued tie, black shoes), be confident, and smile at all times.

You should get started right now. It takes time to get the work visa processed, if you run out of time on your current visa, you'll have to leave the country, and come back on a 90 day tourist visa.