JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
11-06-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru View Post
If I lived in Japan long enough i'd give up my american citizeship. I want to anyway I'm currently working on becoming a british citizen.
IMO, I don't think one should give up one's citizenship so hastily and should live in the place first and see if he/she truly likes it there.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Banzai (Offline)
日本バンザイ~!

Send a message via MSN to Banzai
11-06-2008, 04:08 AM

I always wanted to just give up and live in Japan. Than I realized that it isn't as easy at it seems. So now I'm just going to make a lot of money at a job offering I got and believe me, it is good money, for I can go there 3 months every year. Who knows, I might even meet a wife there one day. Seeing that a lot of Japanese would love to live/visit in other countries besides their own.

>>>SOSDefinition<<<

私は日本語より多く学ぶことが開始されます。
(#13 (permalink))
Old
yuko81 (Offline)
JF pirate

Send a message via Yahoo to yuko81
11-06-2008, 05:30 AM

The weather is very cold in Japan. You will get cough. A friend who studied in Japan told me that.
If you want to live in Japan, you must work, work and work...You will get stress.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-06-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuko81 View Post
The weather is very cold in Japan. You will get cough. A friend who studied in Japan told me that.
If you want to live in Japan, you must work, work and work...You will get stress.
Allow me to correct that for you;

If you want to live, you must work, work and work...You will get stress.

No matter where you choose to live, chances are you`re going to need to make money. The main way to do so is working. Japan is not at all unique in this respect.

As for being cold... Unless you`re in a very cold region or up on the mountains, Japan is actually pretty warm. It hardly ever even drops below freezing around here and I`m not exactly in the south.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
taro (Offline)
JF Regular

11-06-2008, 07:17 AM

You can apply for a permanent residence (PR), without giving up your present citizenship, if you have been living in Japan for more than 10 years (technically it is 5 years).
(#16 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
11-06-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taro View Post
You can apply for a permanent residence (PR), without giving up your present citizenship, if you have been living in Japan for more than 10 years (technically it is 5 years).
going to go this route once we get married and keep my american citizenship

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#17 (permalink))
Old
AAres (Offline)
New to JF

11-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Lets see it the other way around, you have lived in one country your hole life, you leave get another citizenship. How hard will it be to get your native citizenship back? anyone that knows? I do not...
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAres View Post
Lets see it the other way around, you have lived in one country your hole life, you leave get another citizenship. How hard will it be to get your native citizenship back? anyone that knows? I do not...
I would certainly hope that you know enough about the other country to not end up in a situation like this.
Citizenship isn`t something you can or should jump into. Even if you wanted to, there are laws and limitations in place preventing this. And by the time you qualify, you should have a VERY good idea of whether you want to take on their citizenship / give up others, etc. If you aren`t certain, you shouldn`t be doing it in the first place.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-06-2008, 01:29 PM

The general rule is that you can apply for PR after 5 years of living in Japan. But there are some caveats. If you live in Japan for 4 years on a work visa, and then get married, you have to wait 5 years from the change in status of your visa, meaning it would take 9 years.

And, there is no rule requiring Japan to give you PR after 5 years. It's entirely up to whoever looks at your application at the immigration office. There are people who have lived in Japan for 10 or more years who have been turned down for PR, so don't think that it's something you are entitled to after spending 5 years there.

As for giving up your old citizenship when you are granted PR, that's another one of those many laws which Japan turns a blind eye to. They don't actually ask or check to see if you renounce your original citizenship. You can keep it, just don't tell anyone that you did.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

11-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
The general rule is that you can apply for PR after 5 years of living in Japan. But there are some caveats. If you live in Japan for 4 years on a work visa, and then get married, you have to wait 5 years from the change in status of your visa, meaning it would take 9 years.

And, there is no rule requiring Japan to give you PR after 5 years. It's entirely up to whoever looks at your application at the immigration office. There are people who have lived in Japan for 10 or more years who have been turned down for PR, so don't think that it's something you are entitled to after spending 5 years there.

As for giving up your old citizenship when you are granted PR, that's another one of those many laws which Japan turns a blind eye to. They don't actually ask or check to see if you renounce your original citizenship. You can keep it, just don't tell anyone that you did.
in my world PR means Permanent Residency so

1. just because u get married to a japanese national or someone with a PR you don't need to get a 配偶者 ("spouse visa") the previous visa status is fine, as long as you can extend it of course
2. PR has nothing to do with citizenship, so no, you are not in any way required to give up your citizenship when getting PR. Japan does not require u to become stateless.
3. Can u confirm that u have to start all over if changing ur visa status? granted that there is no gap between the visas. i have never heard of this.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ