(#21 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-07-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
in my world PR means Permanent Residency so

1. just because u get married to a japanese national or someone with a PR you don't need to get a 配偶者 ("spouse visa") the previous visa status is fine, as long as you can extend it of course
2. PR has nothing to do with citizenship, so no, you are not in any way required to give up your citizenship when getting PR. Japan does not require u to become stateless.
3. Can u confirm that u have to start all over if changing ur visa status? granted that there is no gap between the visas. i have never heard of this.
This should cover the details Immigration Procedures Guidebook
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2008, 05:29 AM

I know one or two people who have dual citizenship. Basically the United States accepts it but Japan does not. So they renounce American citizenship in Japan but keep the US passport and don't tell the Japanese side about it.

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#23 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
11-08-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
I know one or two people who have dual citizenship. Basically the United States accepts it but Japan does not. So they renounce American citizenship in Japan but keep the US passport and don't tell the Japanese side about it.
will have to keep that in mind

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

11-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
will have to keep that in mind
...although it should be noted that doing this is illegal and can get you in a bit of a mess if you're caught.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#25 (permalink))
Old
AAres (Offline)
New to JF

11-08-2008, 10:10 PM

Why come to a country you like and would like to live in and do something illegal. Come,on.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
11-10-2008, 09:55 AM

Can't you get deported though if you arent a citizen? or is that just the US policy?

PSN: Nemhy
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

11-10-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
Can't you get deported though if you arent a citizen? or is that just the US policy?
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to - you can be deported if you commit a crime, yes, but that's the case in many countries if you're not a citizen.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
11-10-2008, 10:07 AM

Like can they just randomly deport you or limit what jobs you can do if you're not a citizen?

PSN: Nemhy
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

11-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuko81 View Post
The weather is very cold in Japan. You will get cough. A friend who studied in Japan told me that.
If you want to live in Japan, you must work, work and work...You will get stress.
Lol. Cold.. in Japan? Well maybe if you're from a really warm country, I guess (ok, if you're in Hokkaido, it can be cold).

I agree with Nyorinrin, if you want to live anywhere you have to work work work (unless you're a student, and taking loans or getting scholarship, then you don't have to work...might want to tho). And working does not equal stress. Especially if you're a student since you will be having constant fun (especially with all that extra work from your part-time job). Oh and did I mention you can only work part-time on a student visa? Part-time work will probably not break you.

なんでやねん!
(#30 (permalink))
Old
yuko81 (Offline)
JF pirate

Send a message via Yahoo to yuko81
11-10-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Lol. Cold.. in Japan? Well maybe if you're from a really warm country, I guess (ok, if you're in Hokkaido, it can be cold).

I agree with Nyorinrin, if you want to live anywhere you have to work work work (unless you're a student, and taking loans or getting scholarship, then you don't have to work...might want to tho). And working does not equal stress. Especially if you're a student since you will be having constant fun (especially with all that extra work from your part-time job). Oh and did I mention you can only work part-time on a student visa? Part-time work will probably not break you.
I will go to Japan 5 years later . But i heard that the Japanese have "cold blood" , i'm scare of them so much. Especially, every Japanese woman have a samurai sword that kill someone quickly whenever they like.
ah Henbaka, i like you avatar with big head - you look like a scientist.