JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shanita (Offline)
New to JF

Preparing Your Trip to Japan - 11-17-2008, 06:49 AM

Learn some basic Japanese. Go to the library and borrow that 10 years old Berliz cassette and learn how to pronounce a proper konnichiwa, arigato and sumimasen. Remember that if you need to ask advice from a stranger, it's great to start with sumimasen, "excuse me".
Consider getting JAPAN RAILPASS if you intend to use JR lines much.
Learn how to use hashi, chopsticks.
Familiarize yourself with the current value of JPY. Usually it's better to exchange the money in your own country. It's good to have a spare money at all times.
We recommend getting a good guidebook to Japan and checking a map about the areas where you are going to visit.
Get some Japanese friends before your trip. Trust me, you will enjoy much more. If you are lucky, you might even get invitation to stay overnight their house.
In case you will be driving a car in Japan get yourself international driver's licence. Remember that in Japan people drive left. And also remember that driving a car isn't necessarely the fastest option in big cities.
Check out and print our Japan Fact sheet and our Maps.
Remember that you are allowed to stay only three months in Japan as a tourist. Make sure your passport is valid. If you need longer time than that - apply for a visa before.
If you plan to buy some DVD players or AV equipment in Japan remember that in Japan they use 110V currency and NTSC video signal. DVD's are region 2. Also remember to care about customs or you get yourself a trouble.
Emergency numbers in Japan are 110 POLICE and 119 FIRE/AMBULANCE everywhere in Japan. Its good to write them down. You can call toll-free to these numbers from public telephones by pressing the red button and dialing the number. Police boxes are around everywhere. These koban, are handy not only in serious emergency, but smaller one too - if you are lost for example.

"Best Regards
Shanita
http://www.tokyo-forum.com"
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-25-2008, 02:15 AM

Don't stress the details, Japanese assume all western foreigners to be ignorant of Japanese manners or Japanese language. You won't be thought of as stupid or ignorant, you'll just be thought of as a foreigner, which is, in fact, what you are.

To get around in Japan, you need only know a few phrases (good morning, good day, good evening, sorry/excuse me, and thank you) and you should be able to read a map. Print out maps in your own language, they'll come in very handy during your visit.

You'll find almost all signs at train stations to be bilingual in Japanese and English, and most announcements will also be made in both languages. Most ATM machines are also bilingual, and the majority of Japanese (whether they'll admit to it or not) know at least a few words and phrases in English.

Currency exchanges are always multi-lingual. Your best bet is to exchange your money in your home country before you leave. Otherwise, you can exchange it at the airport (the airport in your own country, prior to leaving, or at whichever airport you arrive at in Japan).
(#3 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2008, 03:21 AM

Even those crappy language guidebooks are better than nothing. I reccomend the Japanese "Point and say" as it's quite simplified.

But I think all this advice is more catered toward vacationers and not long time stayers.

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typing View Post
Even those crappy language guidebooks are better than nothing. I reccomend the Japanese "Point and say" as it's quite simplified.

But I think all this advice is more catered toward vacationers and not long time stayers.
I've seen those "point and say" and they aren't a bad idea. One of the exchange students here was using one the day we met. It was intended for English speakers, but it really worked fine in reverse for her too.

Actually the advice for vactioners is more realistic anyway. Despite all the angst of JF members to relocate to Japan, the vast majority will be tourists at the most. And there is nothing wrong in that. A lot can be learned in a very short time when you are on foreign soil.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.