JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
swiftwind (Offline)
New to JF

Misawa, Japan - 04-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Anyone live around this area? is it really out in the middle of no where?

I may be getting a job offer to work in Misawa. I'm currently trying to consider the advantages and disadvantages of living in such an area.

here's what I came up with so far.

Advantages:
1. I'm going to get a lot of hands-on experience and expand my knowledge for my career. I'm going to be doing a lot of new things if I take this job. Very good for my resume.
2. cost of living seems to be much cheaper compared to where I live now.
3. It may open up doors for me to work in other areas of Japan, such as Tokyo or Osaka.
4. Even if I decide to go back after a year, having international experience on my resume makes me look really good when applying for jobs.
5. We will be able to visit my wife's family more often, and for less money.
6. I'm looking at a decent raise if I take this job.
7. If I decide to stay longer, there's a good chance I could make even more money.

Disadvantages:
1. Its out in the boondocks as far as I can tell?
2. My wife may not be able to find a job in the area. If we can't find work for her, then its not an option to go. She's a graphic designer. Does anyone know graphic design/web/print shop companies in the area?
3. I'm wondering if the trains going to come by frequently, or is it very scarce.
4. Not much to do from what it seems like. We were thinking to possibly offset this by creating a plan to tour around the area ahead of time so we don't get bored out of our minds.

What do you guys think? Ideas?

I really need your input on this. I admit, this is my first offer for a job in Japan. Its very hard to apply for jobs from the US as you probably already know. I'm not sure if I should let this one go or not.

Thank you for your time!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ohad (Offline)
JF Regular

04-01-2009, 04:18 PM

I don't have any knowledge about this, but I just want to wish you good luck
(#3 (permalink))
Old
swiftwind (Offline)
New to JF

04-01-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohad View Post
I don't have any knowledge about this, but I just want to wish you good luck
Thank you! I appreciate it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-01-2009, 04:33 PM

Misawa is in Aomori, its not that bad, Aomori is not CLOSE to Tokyo but it doesn't make it "remote".

Graphic design jobs will be difficult, these are mostly in Tokyo and Yokohama area
(#5 (permalink))
Old
swiftwind (Offline)
New to JF

04-01-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Misawa is in Aomori, its not that bad, Aomori is not CLOSE to Tokyo but it doesn't make it "remote".

Graphic design jobs will be difficult, these are mostly in Tokyo and Yokohama area
Thats good to hear. So its not really out in the country side is it?

As for the jobs, do you think she has a better chance of finding a job after we move? or is it too risky?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-01-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwind View Post
Thats good to hear. So its not really out in the country side is it?

As for the jobs, do you think she has a better chance of finding a job after we move? or is it too risky?
WAY too risky, unless your new job pay you enough to feed 2, otherwise i will advice against it.

Not exactly city, but not country side either, its COUNTRY ENOUGH..... but definitely not like a remote place where there is nothing.

There is a US/Japanese air base there, so there has to be something...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
swiftwind (Offline)
New to JF

04-01-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
WAY too risky, unless your new job pay you enough to feed 2, otherwise i will advice against it.

Not exactly city, but not country side either, its COUNTRY ENOUGH..... but definitely not like a remote place where there is nothing.

There is a US/Japanese air base there, so there has to be something...
Most likely we will be fine on a single salary, but I just don't want to stain her resume with unemployment. I also forgot to mention that my wife is Japanese, so it might be easier for her to find a job than a foreigner would in that area.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-01-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwind View Post
Most likely we will be fine on a single salary, but I just don't want to stain her resume with unemployment. I also forgot to mention that my wife is Japanese, so it might be easier for her to find a job than a foreigner would in that area.
I am not sure how it would stain her resume. She would just say "I moved to a small city for my husband's work".

As long as she is willing to go outside of graphic design, I bet she could find work.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
swiftwind (Offline)
New to JF

04-02-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not sure how it would stain her resume. She would just say "I moved to a small city for my husband's work".

As long as she is willing to go outside of graphic design, I bet she could find work.
I suppose you have a point. I just want to make it clear though - You mean until she can find a graphic design job right? Won't it hurt her career if she starts working in something outside of graphic design, and then tries to get back into it later?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Thrownaway (Offline)
New to JF

04-02-2009, 03:37 AM

I have experience with the resume gap thing -- simple solution:

Elance.com

Incorporate your own small business (sole proprietorship is the easiest, but LLCs are very popular), and have her do contract work on sites like E-lance. It's far easier than it sounds. Graphic design work is one of the most common work requests on there, and if she's really good with handling business, you can actually make a decent living off of it regardless of where you live.

For employment verification, she can either have the business registered in her name (running your own business can be attractive, or bad, depending on the position you're applying for), or registered in a trusted family member's name (that typically will not match her own, to avoid misinformed, knee-jerk reactions from HR folks who have never run a small business) who will function as the employer.

Easy peasy.

Just make sure to name the business something professional, like "Tacoma Design Solutions," as opposed to "CRAZY BITCHZ' GRAFIX", for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Thrownaway : 04-02-2009 at 03:40 AM.