JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shikan (Offline)
New to JF

Living in Japan vs. Becoming Japanese - 04-04-2009, 02:02 AM

Japan has always held a peculiar intrigue for me since I first started paying attention to it about 6 years ago. I, like many other foreigners before me, will be moving to Japan later this month to fulfill an initial 3 year contract. After a 6-week study abroad program three years ago, I knew I wanted to go back, even though the effects of 'gaijin syndrome' had started to take their toll on me. It is easy to get into that mindset where you notice something like ritualistically taking off your shoes at the door as being weird and foreign because, logically, taking three steps to grab something off the table with your shoes on won't hurt anything. Then you meet a native from your own country who was raised to never wear shoes in the house and you feel like an ignoramus.

I have studied the language and culture for 4.5 years. My exchange student friends from Japan say I'm 80% Japanese in my behavior and mannerisms. Currently I am finishing a book about haragei, which has been the single-most enlightening piece of reading material about the Japanese mind since I began questioning it.

I will be teaching English in my job, but targeted specifically at its applications in Computer and Software Engineering. While I'm ambitious enough to decide that I will be English teacher by day and Japanese in a gaijin's skin by night, I am afraid the effects of gaijin syndrome may be too strong for me. So I will be keeping a blog to try and keep myself in check.

From what I've seen reading this forum so far, many of you are still far more experienced than I am, and I look up to your advice. So how am I doing?

The bottom line is that Japan is different. But that is why I love it. It isn't just the surface culture, the people, or the lifestyles that are opposite of those in Western society. It is the very core of the countries existence, permeating into all contained within its borders, that differs from the West.

And yet, nothing is different in Japan than what can be found in the West.

You just can't expect to go to Japan and maintain your identity as you know it. Personally, I look forward to the metamorphosis

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Gandhi

"If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
"
-Rudyard Kipling
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-04-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikan View Post
You just can't expect to go to Japan and maintain your identity as you know it. Personally, I look forward to the metamorphosis
That's true... but I think that if you consider your identity becoming "Japanese" at the expense of your own national identity rather than as an addition to it... then it is a flawed way of thinking.

PS- I'd find another word to describe your fascination with Japan if I were you. Generally speaking... you'll just confuse Japanese people and make Westerners roll their eyes.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

04-04-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
That's true... but I think that if you consider your identity becoming "Japanese" at the expense of your own national identity rather than as an addition to it... then it is a flawed way of thinking.
It's flawed in other people's thinking (i.e. yours). Doesn't mean it's utterly wrong for the person.

Quote:
PS- I'd find another word to describe your fascination with Japan if I were you. Generally speaking... you'll just confuse Japanese people and make Westerners roll their eyes.
It seems to me that the OP is comfortable with what he/she believes will happen as a result of his/her life choices, and wanted to post here with his/her thoughts. Picking away at such a thing for the sole apparent purpose of a putdown seems to be the only wrong thing going on here. And, in my opinion, seems to be the main theme of many of your posts, Ronin4hire.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

04-04-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
It's flawed in other people's thinking (i.e. yours). Doesn't mean it's utterly wrong for the person.
Please explain to me how it's not flawed. My perspective as is many people's is that Modern identity is a plural one. Not either or. Unless you believe national identity is primordial and supercedes all other modes of identity in which case I'd argue that the idea of "becoming Japanese" is impossible for anyone who is not born Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
It seems to me that the OP is comfortable with what he/she believes will happen as a result of his/her life choices, and wanted to post here with his/her thoughts. Picking away at such a thing for the sole apparent purpose of a putdown seems to be the only wrong thing going on here. And, in my opinion, seems to be the main theme of many of your posts, Ronin4hire.
I wasn't putting down the OP. You're obviously just butthurt about previous exchanges you've had with me. I mean I simply made a suggestion to the OP that he/she describe their fascination and identification with Japan differently. I too have a deep fascination with aspects of Japanese culture and society. I'm hardly going to call myself Japanese though.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 04-04-2009 at 03:44 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-04-2009, 04:34 AM

I think blogging is a good idea. It is interesting to me that 15 years after I moved to Japan (before the Internet existed in Japan) Westerners worry as much as they do about losing identity by living long-term there.

The truth of the matter is, it couldn't be easier for a foreigner in Japan than it is now, and it gets easier every day.

Don't get me wrong, it is a mind-expanding experience. But it is just that: a mind-expanding experience. You get to the point where you understand the culture of taking your shoes off before entering the house. Some things will make sense...some things will never make sense...but you learn to adapt.

I am not that worldly, but I bet there are a lot of more difficult countries for Westerners to live in.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Shikan (Offline)
New to JF

04-04-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post

Thanks for your response. I would agree that you will always have your own national identity. But that part of you will undoubtedly change whether it strengthens from an unwillingness to adapt to a different national environment, or becomes more robust with your own shifting perspective.

I'm not particularly concerned about impressing Westerners in Japan. If "metamorphosis" is in fact the offending word, it really began with a gift from my host family: a t-shirt with the phrase わたしは日本人になりたい printed on it. A few Japanese have reacted in a way similar to eye-rolling, but most find it rather amusing like myself.

-Gandhi

"
-Rudyard Kipling
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Shikan (Offline)
New to JF

04-04-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Don't get me wrong, it is a mind-expanding experience. But it is just that: a mind-expanding experience. You get to the point where you understand the culture of taking your shoes off before entering the house. Some things will make sense...some things will never make sense...but you learn to adapt.
One of the most interesting things that I've learned from the book I mentioned earlier is just how deep-rooted cultural differences can be. Always looking for things to "make sense" is a very Western way of thinking. The nature of Zen is that it doesn't make any sense, and yet it makes perfect sense, right? I haven't studied Eastern religion outside of the mythologies, so I could be wrong.

By the way, that book is called The Unspoken Way by Michihiro Matsumoto in case anyone is interested.

-Gandhi

"
-Rudyard Kipling
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-04-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
One of the most interesting things that I've learned from the book I mentioned earlier is just how deep-rooted cultural differences can be. Always looking for things to "make sense" is a very Western way of thinking. The nature of Zen is that it doesn't make any sense, and yet it makes perfect sense, right? I haven't studied Eastern religion outside of the mythologies, so I could be wrong.

By the way, that book is called The Unspoken Way by Michihiro Matsumoto in case anyone is interested.
This is an interesting way of thinking, but I think it is accurate in many ways.

Like Bruce Lee said, you can be a stone, or you can be water. As strong as a stone is, it can break. But water flows.

There are two kinds of gaijin in Japan: stones and water. How you live your life there determines how you can live.

Many short-term (i.e. three years or less) protect the stone. They keep it from breaking. It is the water-style...where you let go (even just a little) that allows for a better acceptance. This doesn't mean they "understand" everything that is going on, but at least they can accept the fact they don't understand and go with the flow, and are willing to look a little silly at the end for the sake of mind-expansion.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

04-04-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I would agree that you will always have your own national identity. But that part of you will undoubtedly change whether it strengthens from an unwillingness to adapt to a different national environment, or becomes more robust with your own shifting perspective.
I guess we can agree here.

Quote:
I'm not particularly concerned about impressing Westerners in Japan. If "metamorphosis" is in fact the offending word, it really began with a gift from my host family: a t-shirt with the phrase わたしは日本人になりたい printed on it. A few Japanese have reacted in a way similar to eye-rolling, but most find it rather amusing like myself.
Metamorphisis is not the offending word.

The "offending" I suppose is that you defy mainstream, generally accepted concepts/ideas of what it means to be Japanese I guess. After all Japanese define themselves based on geneology and cultural symbolism rather than secular principles like it can be in the West (Of course there is a competing nationalist narrative in the West which is primordial too.... White, Christian etc. but it's not the prevalent one at least where it matters in courtrooms and constitutions etc... anyway I'm rambling).

Anyway I'm not offended by it... after all... as a liberal I believe identity is determined by the individual unlike culturally conservative Asian societies. Just was confused by what you meant at first.

がんばって

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 04-04-2009 at 05:40 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Thuglife (Offline)
JF Regular

04-04-2009, 05:47 AM

like ritualistically taking off your shoes at the door as being weird and foreign because, logically, taking three steps to grab something off the table with your shoes on won't hurt anything.

If your a guest at a home in Hawaii you better get those shoes or slippaz off at the door. Most don't use slippers for the house and others for the bathroom and others for rooms that are not tatami but...

In Hawaii get those shoes off!!

Just sayin'

By the way...

A good but difficult read is

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pursig(?)

+2 for the Bruce Lee Nod!!

"Be water my friend, be water"

Last edited by Thuglife : 04-04-2009 at 05:50 AM.