JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
Getting Drunk? - 04-22-2009, 09:27 PM

was looking through some write-ups of Japanese culture and I came across some stuff that I thought was pretty intresting. Is it really a big thing to go to a bar with co-workers and friends? I know that yes, even in other countries "Bar fun" is popular but the write up made it seem like it means something special in Japan. Am I just over thinking this? (like I do with most things)

PSN: Nemhy
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-22-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
was looking through some write-ups of Japanese culture and I came across some stuff that I thought was pretty intresting. Is it really a big thing to go to a bar with co-workers and friends? I know that yes, even in other countries "Bar fun" is popular but the write up made it seem like it means something special in Japan. Am I just over thinking this? (like I do with most things)
Yes, it is quite common to have dinner and drinks with colleagues or business partners after work. There is an after-5 business culture that exists in Japan that doesn't in the US. I don't know if it is "special" and I don't know if it is always "fun" but it does exist
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

04-22-2009, 09:34 PM

If you wouldn't mind, could you please go into the detail about the "after-5" buissness culture?

(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
If you wouldn't mind, could you please go into the detail about the "after-5" buissness culture?
There have been books written about it. Basically, in Japanese business culture there is a sense of needing to know a person you are doing business on a personal level. This takes time and much one-on-one face time. Sharing food and alcohol is one way to speed up the process. You can know a person's true self after a few drinks, and the "social lubricant" can benefit or (or destroy) a business relationship.

Sometimes Westerners make the mistake of going to Japan to do business, and turn down offers of dinner, thinking "after 5 is my time". It isn't uncommon for the REAL business to start then. It isn't uncommon for important decisions to be made over drinks rather than in a boardroom.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

04-22-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There have been books written about it. Basically, in Japanese business culture there is a sense of needing to know a person you are doing business on a personal level. This takes time and much one-on-one face time. Sharing food and alcohol is one way to speed up the process. You can know a person's true self after a few drinks, and the "social lubricant" can benefit or (or destroy) a business relationship.

Sometimes Westerners make the mistake of going to Japan to do business, and turn down offers of dinner, thinking "after 5 is my time". It isn't uncommon for the REAL business to start then. It isn't uncommon for important decisions to be made over drinks rather than in a boardroom.
Thats pretty intresting. Any books you would reccomend? Thanks for the quick responses and sorry if i'm asking to many questions. =X

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Thats pretty intresting. Any books you would reccomend? Thanks for the quick responses and sorry if i'm asking to many questions. =X
I like "Saying Yes to Japan" but if you search "Japanese Business Culture" on Amazon you can find a bunch. Just don't buy something more than a few years old.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

04-22-2009, 09:53 PM

Thank you for all the help!

(#8 (permalink))
Old
coolforcats1 (Offline)
Very Regular to JF!

04-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Wow all this sounds so interesting! I might have to go read up about it!

L.O.V.E Nyappy!
カチイ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21854982@N08/
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-23-2009, 07:36 AM

I was at one of these a few weeks ago. All the teachers who knew each other roasted one another, even the principal and vice principal, and then I had to stand up and sing in Japanese while mocking everyone's English skills.

This is COMPLETELY different from any business dinners I had ever gone to with companies in the states.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-23-2009, 07:45 AM

Uh-oh! I wonder what they would think of someone that came out to one of these dinners but didn't drink any alcohol... I don't drink alcohol at all!