LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-18-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabijuice View Post
Sorry if I was a bit hard on the manga fans, but it had to be said.
灰、そです。

best,

...........john
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Larzo (Offline)
New to JF

05-18-2009, 08:16 AM

I heard that good well paying jobs are hard to get in japan, especially if you're a foreigner. Japan would be a place I'd like to travel to but not live there. I can't give up my sweet lovely home which is Canada.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Yoite (Offline)
JF Regular

05-18-2009, 08:44 AM

On the list of the first post, you forgot to mention the language. That's my main intrest. I want to study there just to be capable of mastering the language in it's own country. And to live there? On the other side on the globe from my family and friends? I'm not so sure about that. And pictures of Tokyo doesn't give me a lot of motivation to live there.

Last edited by Yoite : 05-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2009, 01:53 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed myself in Tokyo for two weeks, just walking around and looking at the buildings, subways. Staying in Shinjuku was perfect. It was enough, did I see everything there ? Nope ! I was satisfied though I saw and did what I wanted to and a lot more.

Next year I plan on hitting Osaka.

Japan does offer a lot and I'll echo what the TC said if you go expecting the land of manga, video games and cosplayers you will probably be disappointed. It's there and far more accessible then anywhere else but that's about it.

There is a LOT to see and cramming everything in is a waste IMHO, take your time and see different things, allow yourself to take in what you see.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-19-2009, 02:28 AM

I think to be a little more clear. If you want to visit Japan to see the home of video games, manga, anime, cosplay, lolita-fashion, visual-kei, and all things kawaii, by all means do it. All of these things exist in ways and volumes you will never find anywhere else in the world.

What I think the OP is saying is that there is so much more to Japan that you are selling yourself short if that's all you are interested in in Japan.

Also, just because Japan is the home of these things doesn't mean that a majority of Japanese people are, but I certainly hope that isn't news to anyone.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-19-2009, 02:43 AM

Well put MMM.

I didn't really experience electronics, Manga, Anime, or anything like it.

What I did experience was plnety of senior Japanese friends who oftened joined me and them in night's, lunches out to typical Japanese Izakayas (spelling) green Te in Uji, or Sake in Fushimi.

We received a ticket to see a Kabuki show at the famouse theatre in Kyoto, and also a ticket to for a Maiko dancing show in Gion, Kyoto followed by green tea ceremony all served by Maiko.

My teenage friends, university type, and I would often go out for dinner, which could mean anything from a Thai restaurant to an expensive Japanese in Kiyamatchi Dori, Kyoto.

My first real taste of green tea was me making it! I did a cultural thing with the Nara Girl Guide group. I did it all, encircled by them, when I drank it, I nearly spewed! I held back with a smile and spelled at Omai, and the came the Unko cake to take away the flavour.

For me Japan was friendly people, quiet bike rides, the odd attraction visit, lunch by the river, and working all the other times.

All this could have been because I was living in Kyoto. I don't know.

My main experience with electronics was purchasing an awesome SONY Digital Cam still in use today, and a SONY DSC-T1 small camera when they first came out, once again, still in use today.

I also fell in love with watches, CASIO G-Shock's, the limited edition one's, and I ended up with a cupboard full of them.

Apart from that, I travelled to certain places, namely Kumamoto (wifes home town), Wakayama for short breaks, and the odd experience in love hotels in Osaka which was fun.

One of the things that stuck in my mind was dinner time at Coganoi Hotel in Wakayama. A massive almost Western Style abode, although it really felt like a Japanese home with evryone turning up for dinner in Yukata. We had Sukiyaki that night. Tasteless for me, very poular for other's.

All these breaks meant hiring a car, and driving. I used to thoroughly enjoy that.

I did spend the odd night at a Kyoto city night disco type club, although my age told me that a quiet drink and chat with friends was now for me.

All in all, Japan offfers many different things for different people, all prefectures differ, country, city, coast and inland, wherever one goes, they will see new things.

And last but not least, to anyone thinking of travelling and living in Japan, remember, it is full of culture, try to udnerstand and admire it for what it is with a smile on your face

Cheers - Oz
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-19-2009, 06:53 AM

I live in the middle of nowhere. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

The cities are nice to visit, but I insist in my mountain views, clean air, and zero traffic.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2009, 08:51 AM

gsdfgsdfgsdg

Last edited by wasabijuice : 12-04-2009 at 08:01 AM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-19-2009, 01:47 PM

I have always been interested in the rural parts of Japan, as well as the urban.
If/When I visit Japan again, I would happily travel the country side; visit some temples and mountains, etc.
I think my introduction through martial arts and illustrative art, instead of anime and manga has something to do with it.

That's not to say I don't like anime and manga, of course.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
survivingonrice (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2009, 06:22 PM

hmm well good points made but i already knew it...its just that living in a small rural town wouldnt interest me...i love big cities so thats why i would choose to live in one...until i became old and wanted some peace i guess...and its not beacuse of the anime, ect....it could be any big city but tokyo espeiaclly interests me...i dont really know why it just does..

i needed a new sig